Used the search, still need info on a classic Stihl 07

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varsity Tyler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given an old Stihl 07 by a buddy of mine and was told that it wouldn't run. I managed to get it started. It was great at full throttle but would but out at idle. Compression tests pointed to piston rings, so I pulled the jug off today at work and sure enough the upper ring was split into three pieces.

Aside from knowing how to run and maintain a chainsaw I don't know much about them. Model numbers and all that stuff means nothing to me.

The model is an 07, but I've been told that there is a series number to differentiate the model even further. On my saw that number is partly rubbed out. It's either a 5, 6 or the letter S.

If I post a serial number can anybody tell me exactly what model I have?

And once that's determined, where on earth can I get parts for this things. I need rings, an exhaust gasket and the gasket between the block and the jug. I went into the Stihl dealer down the street with this thing and they laughed at me. lol So here I am looking for a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

Tyler

Back