Uses for a small skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd only use non-ethanol fuel in it. The alcohol that is in the blended fuels absolutely kills carbs over time. Since you don't know what kind of junk you have in the fuel tank, be religious about changing fuel filters (I had one go bad - it broke apart within the housing and let a bunch of junk get to the carb, plugging it). I would also run SeaFoam as a fuel system cleaner and some sort of preservative, such as Marine grade Stabil or the Star Tron stuff. You may think it's all advertising hype, but I've had poorly running motors clear up with a dose of SeaFoam.

I do use hightest or non-ethanol whenever possible, and Seafoam as needed. So far as I can tell, that has been enough. Every problem I've had in the last couple years has been not related to fuel, mostly ignition and being stored outside, wiring corrosion, and other environmental issues that end up seeming like fuel but end up not being fuel.

Been cutting brush off of fencelines and found that the little skid steer is extremely handy just pushing piles of brush along the ground into the fire piles, forget picking it up with a grapple...

The microscopic 36" bucket is perfect for getting inside ground countours that a bigger bucket will miss. End up with what looks like a finely raked surface. And the piles I'm pushing can be really pretty big (car sized) before it begins to struggle especially to pick it up/roll it over onto the fire pile.

Still have not sealed the deal on fabricating the grapple bucket.

Back