Using a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello

I will be buying a log splitter soon. I recently rented one and although it worked just fine, I found it to be a pain to use. There was a control panel where I had to hold a button down and then hold the lever in either direction to make it work. I want to make sure I buy one where I don't have to have 1 hand on a button. But it would also be nice not to have to hold the lever while it is working. I have been thinking about the Huskee 22 ton from Tractor Supply. Does this one operate the way I want? Can I interrupt the downward and upward stroke - so I don't have to wait until it gets all the way to the bottom or top to change direction?

Stefan

Can't comment on the HF splitter, but I am not understing the saftey issue on the rental unit! Did it require two hands, one on the safty switch and one on the lever to operate? Or just one hand on the lever to operate?
Personaly I will never own or builld one with an autocycle valve, had my hand get pinched in one once!! NEVER AGAIN!! I have a new found respect for power equipment, been around it all my life, and am just realizing how lucky I have been, mitre saw taught me that!!!!
Just my .02.
Andy

Yes, the idea of the rental splitter was that you needed two hands to operate. One hand presses a button and the other operates the lever. The lever would not move the splitter unless the button was pressed. After a while I figured out a way to hold the button down with my forearm and push and pull the lever with my hand on the same arm. That way I could stay crouched over and manipulate the wood while I operated the splitter. It was a bit awkward though. I realise that I was defeating the saftey feature by doing that. But I was able to do the job more quickly without having to stand up and bend over as much. Even if I didn't have an automatic return, I really don't want to have to press a button at the same time.

Stefan

I have a lot of red oak on my property. Yes, the Huskee is cheaper. But I am saying that this is the cheapest one I have found that accepts a 4 way wedge. s far as I know, the Huskee does not have a 4 way attachment. And I know nothing about fabricating those kind of things. Northstar choices in my price range that can use the 4 way are:

22 ton 5 H.P - $1249
30 ton 5.5 H.P. - $1349
37 ton 9 H.P - $1699

Of course I will have to pay shipping for around $180 Or I could get the Huskee 22 ton for $999 locally.

What would you go for?

Stefan

I never seen one like that...!

It figures that there would be some concern about rental splitters, and figuring out a way to "make it safer"..... :taped:

I have 1 splitter with a conventional valve, and another one with a double detent that is a little more dangerous....

Other than that, the average splitter will work just fine. If going to a 4 way wedge make sure you have plenty of push....

-Pat

Yeah, I understand that a rental must be as safe as possible. But it makes it harder. But I don't blame them for that. I just want to make sure I get one that is easy to use.

Stefan

I see the issue now Stefan, that is BS!!! I have no problem with a detent on the return, just would not want one on the feed side!
Andy

I don't know about that unit but I can't see why you would have to let the thing cycle fully. You should be able to stop or reverse the ram at any time.

Yes there are various vavle setups. Most common is the 'self centering' that returns the valve to neutral if you let go of it. The ram stays wherever it was when you let go.

I replaced that on mine with one the remains in what ever position you let go, i.e. put it in forward and let go, it remains there. THAT IS DANGEROUS but it speeds up operation considerable as you have two hands free while the chunk is splitting.

It is always possible to override safety thingies somehow, you just have to decide how comfortable you are doing it. In the case of rental equipment, defeat the safety, get hurt, forget about any lawsuit.

Harry K

Stefan said:
Hello

I will be buying a log splitter soon. I recently rented one and although it worked just fine, I found it to be a pain to use. There was a control panel where I had to hold a button down and then hold the lever in either direction to make it work. I want to make sure I buy one where I don't have to have 1 hand on a button. But it would also be nice not to have to hold the lever while it is working. I have been thinking about the Huskee 22 ton from Tractor Supply. Does this one operate the way I want? Can I interrupt the downward and upward stroke - so I don't have to wait until it gets all the way to the bottom or top to change direction?

Stefan

holding the lever in the PUSH position is a safety feature....that way you won't end up crushing your hand or someone elses. this forces you to have one hand on the lever giving you full control.

the PULL detent is a nice feature...allowing the ram to slide back on it's own and stopping when it reaches "home".

the "button" on the rental was just a safety feature to ensure your hands are out of the way so that you don't go back to sue them in case of an accident.

no log splitter should have an automatic PUSH feature...no matter how experienced one is, when you're out there splitting wood for a few hours, you get tired and start making mistakes. with a log splitter...it only takes once to lose a hand or fingers.

no log splitter should have an automatic PUSH feature...no matter how experienced one is, when you're out there splitting wood for a few hours, you get tired and start making mistakes. with a log splitter...it only takes once to lose a hand or fingers.[/QUOTE] This is true and a very good point. Wood splitters are notariously simple to operate and just as easy to get hurt with no matter what your experience is. Remember it is a one man machine. Don't let anyone help you except maybe to hand you the log. Don't let them near the splitter. I can guarantee you that eventually either one of you will get hurt when the machine is operated by more than one person. The bad thaing about tying up both hands to operate the splitter, (button) leaves the operator no defense against wood flying out under pressure. The Husky is a better machine, I think it has a Honda engine or a beefed-up Briggs & Stratton. We use an Iron and Oak 26 ton Vertical/Horizontal splitter sometimes with a Northern Tool 4 way which we cut the back strap and welded a 4 inch bolt to to slip over the original wedge. Just be careful that you don not let the 4-way ram touch the backstop or it will flatten the 4-way and eventually split it down the middle!

i've noticed that many log splitter intended control valves are factory set at (average) 2750 psi...regardless if the pump is claiming 3000 psi and the cylinder is rated at 3000 psi.

would this not be a safety feature? i mean, would someone really want a log splitter to be running with 3000 or more psi in the lines? especially if you made one.

hey guys

This thread kind of took a turn I was not intending. But I know how these forums work. Do you have any more recommendations as far as log splitter brands and specs?

Stefan

mga said:
i've noticed that many log splitter intended control valves are factory set at (average) 2750 psi...regardless if the pump is claiming 3000 psi and the cylinder is rated at 3000 psi.

would this not be a safety feature? i mean, would someone really want a log splitter to be running with 3000 or more psi in the lines? especially if you made one.

I wouildn't put that in the 'safety column'. If something lets go, the physical results of 3000 vs 2500 psi isn't going to be much different. Of course there is the 'but it might break at 3000 and not at 25000'...

Harry K

Stefan said:
hey guys

This thread kind of took a turn I was not intending. But I know how these forums work. Do you have any more recommendations as far as log splitter brands and specs?

Stefan

yea...sorry about that.

Stefan said:
hey guys

Stefan

The TSC 22 ton will do what you want with respect to control valve operation.
Stop midstroke, reverse detent, ect.
If you are near a TSC I would suggest you stop by and ask to run a splitter. I did just that here in Ct. I ended up buying a Iron $ Oak because I felt the quality was much better. I also felt the TSC cycle time was too slow.
If you are going to do <10 cord a year the TSC 22 will probably work just fine for you.

I not comparing to others, because I haven't tried other brand splitters.
I bought a Swisher 22 ton 6.5hp. I've split 4 cords with it and there isn't an big, ugly, knarly piece of wood that it can't handle with ease.
Don't know about the 4 way head.

Splitter

I like the construction of the Tractor Supply ones I saw in theiir yard.
I have a big old Vermeer with 12 HP Kohler, a real bear!
Conventional valve. You don't want that thing moving on its own!
I have taught all my kids and grandkids to work the valve while I handle the logs. Yes, they make the occasional mistake, but it teaches them a skill, shows them where the heat comes from, and introduces them to the idea of WORK. I start them at about four, when they are able to listen and remember instructions. Remarkably, after about 15 minutes both boys and girls do fine, once they get the idea not to let their attention wander! As for my safety, I simply don't get under the wedge at all and I have an older kid or another adult looking over their shoulder for a while

It's amazing, but within an hour they have the idea and know when to stop if we hit a crotch or something that won't split. I give them hand signals or shake/nod my head to indicate when to start down or back up, if necessary.

This has worked great for four of them now, as well as some friends kids. They like the accomplishment and I like the help! I let them pick up wood and put it in the truck too, matching wood size to kid size! The teenagers are now as strong as I am (65) and they roll the biggies over to me for splitting.

Everyone wears good earmuffs, because the old Kohler can bark!

Wilson

Back