Using a power pack for a splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytona500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello there,
I've had some good advice from guys on the site over the years , have now re-registered after losing the original email account.
I've at last given up my home made splitter/Ferguson tractor rig and have started building a small trailer type splitter.
Many folk seem to use a power pack for their splitter, I've been looking at a JCB Beaver power pack with a Honda GX270 engine but it doesnt seem to have a big enough hydraulic tank for a splitter with a 24"x 4" or even a 14" x 4" ram. I can't see that a power pack could work as well as a lo/hi 16gpm pump either.
Can some kind person enlighten me on how the power pack performs.
TIA logs.jpg 620.jpg

If by ‘power pack’ you mean a purchased engine/pump/tank package to run hydr tools etc, I would say definite no. They are single stage pumps. Don’t even think of single stage, even if free. The slow cycle will frustrate you forever.
If you mean something else, more details kplease.

Almost everyone just builds from purchased engine, adaptor and coupling, pump, etc. The parts are so standardized and generic and available everywhere.

But as a first splitter, I’d rent or borrow many different ones to find out what you like. Any splitter is better than a maul, but after using it a day there will be ten things you wish were different. and #1 will be speed. #2 log lift.

Thanks Kevin j,
Yes, I meant a purchased package as you describe, normally used for road breakers, etc. . They seem to be fairly widely used for log splitters in this country but I couldn't really imagine they would be much good, as you point out.
I have some experience of other splitters apart from my tractor one but I think I'm just getting lazy in my old age and thought it might be possible to cut corners !.
Thank you for your advice, I greatly appreciate it.
Best Regards to you and yours.

Any splitter is better than a maul

I would disagree on that. I mainly split wet hardwood. Exactly those 2 point make me grab my maul. Half an hour splitting, and you've done a couple of cubic meters.
Getting big rounds of fresh oak lifted is a b****.
You just break your back. And it's slow splitting, especially when during the proces you find 12t isn't enough and you have to move the thing about or give up and maul/ noodle anyway.

Now one of those + 200hp combined log slicers and splitters (wich pulls a log in, cuts it in the right length and then splits it to the right width in one go. That would make my day.
But yeah, what would you do with all that free time anyway.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

If by ‘power pack’ you mean a purchased engine/pump/tank package to run hydr tools etc, I would say definite no. They are single stage pumps. Don’t even think of single stage, even if free. The slow cycle will frustrate you forever.
If you mean something else, more details kplease.

Almost everyone just builds from purchased engine, adaptor and coupling, pump, etc. The parts are so standardized and generic and available everywhere.

But as a first splitter, I’d rent or borrow many different ones to find out what you like. Any splitter is better than a maul, but after using it a day there will be ten things you wish were different. and #1 will be speed. #2 log lift.
My log lift is pretty simple. Nephews with young strong backs. Downside is keeping my log lifts fed.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I would disagree on that. I mainly split wet hardwood. Exactly those 2 point make me grab my maul. Half an hour splitting, and you've done a couple of cubic meters.
Getting big rounds of fresh oak lifted is a b****.
You just break your back. And it's slow splitting, especially when during the proces you find 12t isn't enough and you have to move the thing about or give up and maul/ noodle anyway.

Now one of those + 200hp combined log slicers and splitters (wich pulls a log in, cuts it in the right length and then splits it to the right width in one go. That would make my day.
But yeah, what would you do with all that free time anyway.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I was a maul fanatic for several years. Did 10-15 fill cords a year with my gransfors bruks. Finally I bought a splitter when I could afford a good one. I wanted to split 32" long rounds, and the maul really struggles at that length.

Anyway, I don't have a log lift. Probably should have gotten one when I bought it. The builder wanted an extra $600, which I probably would have forgotten about by now, but anyway, here is what I do. Props to @Sawyer Rob for giving me some good ideas.

I load logs onto a hay wagon with my Kubota. I buck them up on the wagon, then park the splitter right next to the wagon. You can just see it behind the tractor in the picture. There's even a few rounds on it. It's much easier to grab a 100# round from a little higher than waist height and toss it onto the splitter. rps20190115_154313_797.jpg
Normally I either just let the splitter push up a pile like you can see on the left, or I have a helper stacking while I'm splitting. Today I happened to have that little trailer behind the Jeep. I am stacking some wood for next winter right near my house, and my wife voted against me setting up the whole works, wagon, tractors, etc right next to the house. Mostly because my saws are too loud. So anyway, I'm trailering a few cords up to the house. So, anyway, logs loaded onto the trailer, moved to the splitter without bending over, pushed onto the trailer instead of loading by hand (yes I had to arrange it a little, but again, no bending) then stacked off the trailer onto pallets near the house.

Point being, a log loader isn't the only way to skin a cat.

Back