Using a smaller engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not on topic but I figured I could get some good advice
I have an Ingersoll zero turn that decided to sling the rod out thru side of block a few days ago.it had an 18 hp Kohler magnum (side shaft).the ones I have found are more costly than the mowers is worth .
I have a nearly new 14 hp Onan elite that I'm considering putting in my mower.
What is everyones thoughts on this.
Will it be to underpowered or will it handle the job

That gets to be a problem with mowers a lot of time a new engine is worth more than the mower is. My big question would be is the shaft size and length the same so your electric clutch and pulley that drive your hydro's going to work. Hp wise you probably can get by but it going to be short on power.

It will handle the job but in thick cutting you might have to go a bit slower.

I would use the Onan.

We have a Grasshopper 720K 52" wide cut with a 20hp Kohler. I cut grass and weeds almost 2ft. tall at times and just slow down a bit and of course there is some recutting.

My big question would be is the shaft size and length the same so your electric clutch and pulley that drive your hydro's going to work.
Believe it or not but that's the easy part ,the motor has a new electric clutch already on it.
The mower uses a short shaft on flywheel with a pulley that is belt drive to an idler shaft.the shaft has two more pulleys that drive the pumps(hope that makes sense).
Luckily my donor motor is setup basically same way .
I also have the complete harness from a donor mower so wiring will be a minor issue .
I going to locate motor so that blade drive belt will be reused .
The pump side shaft is long enough that I can slide pulley in/out to line it up and will probably only need to buy one short belt.

I have worked on several brands that the pumps are ran off the flywheel side and the deck is ran off the crank PTO side. My Grasshopper 223 runs the mower and pumps off the PTO side crank. Sounds like you are good to go to make this work.

Latest posts

Back