Using Diesel Fuel Mix w/ Chain Oil for High Sap Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Relatively new to the site. I'm living abroad in Greece, but was raised in Mississippi and later moved to Wyoming. I joined the US Air Force and traveled all over the globe, finally hanging my hat in Greece.

Anyway, since 2010, I've been cutting various trees of many types and stages of dryness here in Greece. I job share with a guy that is part of the Forestry Service for our area. Here everyone recommends using a few CC's of diesel fuel with the chain oil when cutting pine and other highly resinous species of trees. Anyone have input or experience? I guess the thought process is to combat the gumming up caused by the resin.

Cheers,
Dan

I put in a few cups of diesel in the jug of bar oil to thin it. Been doing it for several years.
No real measurement, just a second or two squeeze of the pump handle into the jug.

A few CC's will not do much against the sap. I have cut many trees in the Kalamata area over the years and never had issues with sappy wood. Try adding some dish soap perhaps.

Im not going to offer a opinion cuz I don't know, but a few guys I know use transmission fluid mix with bar oil for the same reason and to thin out the bar oil in cold weather.
A friend of mine uses old motor oil after his oil changes. Certainly don't get any cheaper than that. Locally, Oregon bar/chain oil is 4 Euros per liter.

Diesel would be ok, don't think I would use any gas mix as it may react with rubber parts of the oiler system.
Definitely not a gas mix. I think gas would almost counteract the lubing properties of the oil, being that is a fairly good solvent.

You know what does work is using a putty knife and run it down the slot in the bar after work each day.
Good advice. I usually clean my saws up pretty good after each use. The wife LOVES it when I bring the chainsaws in the house and work on them....NOT!

A few CC's will not do much against the sap. I have cut many trees in the Kalamata area over the years and never had issues with sappy wood. Try adding some dish soap perhaps.
A few CC's isn't much but I don't know exactly what they are recommending as a ration of diesel to oil. Dish soap? No foaming activity from it? I know it is an awesome lubricant, but everything you put it on seems to rust rapidly.

We have a lot of pine here in Canada and in Germany and after cutting the bars and chains are soaked in a solvent as well as the saw being cleaned up really well. Motor oil is a huge no no IMO. Not only are you flinging it everywhere and breathing it in it has no Tackifiers so it does not " stick " to the bar all that well. Between cuts you can always splash the bar with ouzo or τσίπουρο, ρακή just keep it clear of the muffler! :D

This could be a whole new thread and a slippery slope :popcorn2:
My boss / Old Boss dose the same with the oil from hes trucks and chipper only thing I would make sure to do is to at least filter it so it doesn't clog up the oiler. My dad said that the guys he worked around used to throw some kerosine on their bars to help remove the sap. me personally I havent had to worry about it so much yet so I dont know what my plan will be.

Hello Everyone!

Relatively new to the site. I'm living abroad in Greece, but was raised in Mississippi and later moved to Wyoming. I joined the US Air Force and traveled all over the globe, finally hanging my hat in Greece.

Anyway, since 2010, I've been cutting various trees of many types and stages of dryness here in Greece. I job share with a guy that is part of the Forestry Service for our area. Here everyone recommends using a few CC's of diesel fuel with the chain oil when cutting pine and other highly resinous species of trees. Anyone have input or experience? I guess the thought process is to combat the gumming up caused by the resin.

Cheers,
Dan

I've use dish soap before and I was first taught about using it when my old boss I used to work for told me about it it didn't work as well as I had expected but it does work fairly well I never had any problems with any kind of rusting issues because I always thoroughly clean and lubricate everything from the inside of the cover and bar chain clutch Etc. And it doesn't really foam up that much the bar oil with it's sticking properties seem to hold it together and not allow it to foam. But that is the only thing I have ever personally used to combat sap.

I would KILL you if you put diesel in my saw. Stupidest thing I think I ever heard besides using it to treat poison ivy!

I'll use the Ouzo though, sure its flammable but it don't stink to bad.

I would KILL you if you put diesel in my saw. Stupidest thing I think I ever heard besides using it to treat poison ivy!

I as well have never heard of putting diesel fuel in bar oil they're just are better things out there to use

It's actually a common practice. Deisel fuel has a low enough flash point that catching the saw on fire in unlikely... unlike using a bit of your premix. That can be rather disastrous. Another option that's a lot more environmentally sound is to just run vegetable oil instead of bar oil. I usually use whatever is the cheapest, generally canola oil. You'll have to readjust your oiler flow for it, as it doesn't have the additives to make it stick to the chain better. Adjust it to where it keeps the chain wet, but doesn't splatter everything in a two block radius. You'll go through it faster than bar oil, but it's dirt cheap and nontoxic. It tends to clog up the saw a lot less on those sappy trees.

It's actually a common practice. Deisel fuel has a low enough flash point that catching the saw on fire in unlikely... unlike using a bit of your premix. That can be rather disastrous. Another option that's a lot more environmentally sound is to just run vegetable oil instead of bar oil. I usually use whatever is the cheapest, generally canola oil. You'll have to readjust your oiler flow for it, as it doesn't have the additives to make it stick to the chain better. Adjust it to where it keeps the chain wet, but doesn't splatter everything in a two block radius. You'll go through it faster than bar oil, but it's dirt cheap and nontoxic. It tends to clog up the saw a lot less on those sappy trees.

I wouldn't like the smell and it would get on everything and everywhere and it all would smell like diesel. But if you like the smell of diesel then its fine.

I still would rather the Ouzo.

What makes you say that?

We use it to make winter grade bar oil. Just a few cups mixed in a gallon. It just thins it down, kind of the same as thinning paint with acetone.

What about using olive oil

Turn up your oiler or look up the oiler modd. If sticky icky sap is the issue then clean ur saw out daily bar, cooling system carb and filters. I clean my personal saws every day with a air hose and brake clean. A clean n cool running saw is a happy saw

Back