Using Diesel Fuel Mix w/ Chain Oil for High Sap Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn up your oiler or look up the oiler modd. If sticky icky sap is the issue then clean ur saw out daily bar, cooling system carb and filters. I clean my personal saws every day with a air hose and brake clean. A clean n cool running saw is a happy saw

I hear that. I clean mine very thoroughly after each use and if I've use mine the whole day I take the whole thing apart to clean it of course I'm not talking about me taking apart the engine just separating the engine from the body and cleaning it even if I'm not cutting sappy trees

Diesel's a great tree sap solvent, and quite a few PNW old school loggers I've met and worked for store their long chains that have been sappified in 25 gallon buckets of diesel fuel to desappify them before sharpening on a Silvey chain grinder.

Never heard of actually cuttin bar oil viscosity down with it, but it obviously works well.

My problem runnin long bars n chains in bone dry dead wood's the oiler not keepin up!

Why Stihl did away with manual oilers on their big saws is a mystery.

I'll take an 084 over an 088 all day long thank you very much!

Jomoco

Diesel's a great tree sap solvent, and quite a few PNW old school loggers I've met and worked for store their long chains that have been sappified in 25 gallon buckets of diesel fuel to desappify them before sharpening on a Silvey chain grinder.

Never heard of actually cuttin bar oil viscosity down with it, but it obviously works well.

My problem runnin long bars n chains in bone dry dead wood's the oiler not keepin up!

Why Stihl did away with manual oilers on their big saws is a mystery.

I'll take an 084 over an 088 all day long thank you very much!

Jomoco

I just picked up a Johnny red 2094 with a 24 inch bar on it doesn't look like it's getting much oil like it should I haven't had a chance to do much research on it yet but are those automated Oilers or manual Oilers

Sorry MM, I've never ran a Jonsereds, so I don't know.

I miss my 084's manual oiler somethin fierce though!

I've been reduced to just dumpin oil onto the bar n chain on long dead euc a few times runnin my 880 with a six foot bar.

It ain't right, and Stihl shoulda known better!

Jomoco

Sorry MM, I've never ran a Jonsereds, so I don't know.

I miss my 084's manual oiler somethin fierce though!

I've been reduced to just dumpin oil onto the bar n chain on long dead euc a few times runnin my 880 with a six foot bar.

It ain't right, and Stihl shoulda known better!

Jomoco
Yeah they should have known better when it came to string trimmers to and not have put that garbage 4 stroked hybrid line out. I've never run an 84 before I have ran the 88 I did like it but I was cutting Greenwood so I didn't notice much difference as far as the oiling goes. I have a 48 inch bar for the Johnny red but I don't have a chain for it but quite a few other of my saws I have had to dump oil down the cut or on the bar and chain
In dry wood myself so I understand your aggravation

A new oil pump n drive gear's never a bad idea on older saws that ain't puttin out IME.

Gotta have a piston stop to do it, and remember the clutch is reverse threaded.

Good luck mate.

Jomoco

What makes you say that?

We use it to make winter grade bar oil. Just a few cups mixed in a gallon. It just thins it down, kind of the same as thinning paint with acetone.

I don't like the smell of diesel is all.

Years ago they filled up one of my saws with used diesel motor oil, when I got hot so did it and the smell was choking me. The next morning I took a dump and it smelled like old nasty diesel motor oil.

Not really, you should know what is happening to all the stuff we come in contact with.

A nice gentle mist of raw diesel oil? MMMMMM GOOD!

But I do understand you might need something to cut the resin in a big saw on log after log.

I really start to feel woozy when I am working hard and breathing in a lot of nasty stuff but many of my friends have WD 40 air fresheners.

I would use low odor mineral spirits, trans fluid or something that don't add to much more to the stinks coming off the saw.

I hate big stump cuts, man, that exhaust gets spicy and yer face is right there, gotta to learn to breathe in between strokes like a swimmer.

Yu ain't gotta bee suit Either Doc?

How long yu been climbin?

Ever watch flowers for algernon?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062794/

Gotta be smarter than the critters around yu mate!

Jomoco

I live in close proximity to a nuclear reactor and an army navy surplus store so I have more than just a little old bee suit... and evacuation plans.

Mostly just a rain suit and a face net is all that's needed. They go fer the head.

If I get ambushed I will holler to get a blower going post haste for after I get down, or when dealing with a known target its good to have a man on the blower whilst you be feeding the sumbitch into DA CHIPPAH!.

One of the worst smells in the business is a dryer vent, especially in winter. Walking by one of those can floor me after working up a sweat and breathing hard.

So how long yu been at this game Doc?

Do yu consider yurself a journeyman arborist yet?

Took me about 40 years to realize n accept that trees are much better off without us around period!

Keepin a well stocked medkits the mark of a pro too yu know!

Jomoco

So how long yu been at this game Doc?

Do yu consider yurself a journeyman arborist yet?

Took me about 40 years to realize n accept that trees are much better off without us around period!

Keepin a well stocked medkits the mark of a pro too yu know!

Jomoco

Its just been a "hobby" of mine since 1991 so I don't take it very seriously because what it took you 40 years to realize I already knew after my first day!

I just have eye wash and sanitary napkins in the med kit and know where the ER's are. I wouldn't do this **** a whole lot if the weren't a lot of hospitals close by.

No super glue Doc?

No duct tape n percs?

What kinda doc are yu anyways?

Got a doctorate in minimalist philosophy, eh mate?

Jomoco

Back