Using existing chimney for woodburner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking into installing a woodburner into my girfriend's house. She has a really small house (950 squre feet) that was one of those old Sears catalog homes of way back when. She has only a single floor with a below grade basement. Her entire house is electric. There is a chimney that runs directly up through the middle of it. It appears that is may have been used for a coal stove at one time some many, many moons ago. When they remodeled the house, they blocked off the opening just by stuffing insulating in the openings to keep cold air out. By installing a wood stove in the basement (concrete floor, block walls), I can easily heat the entire house from below.

I do not know what the condition of the chimney is. Not sure if there is a flue line present of it is just brick. I pulled the insulation out of the opening and tried to take a look, but it is too hard to see, I wil have to climb to the roof.

If there is a flue present and in good condition, is it possible to tie the woodburner into that to use for a chimney? If the flue is in bad shape or there is not one, could I line it with chimney pipe and still use the current chimney for the route out of the house. If that is the case, what grade of pipe could I use in a brick chimney enclosure? Does anyone see any problems with that idea?

Ed

Back