Using old gas to clean chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEATSAW

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to another member I just got a load of used chains. So I put some stale gas to good use! Soaking the gunked up chains in the old gas really worked well in cleaning them up good enough that I could sharpen on my grinder without loading up the wheel. While it did work really well on getting the gunk off it also stripped away the oil. So a light misting with WD40 restored some lube and rust protection until I run them on a saw.

It only took about 10 minutes of soaking to make a noticeable difference.

Just thought I'd pass on the tip.

Great thought on using mix gas. Maybe that's how I could get rid of or "use" all this outboard 2 cycle oil I have.

What ratio should I use? :bang:

Would soaking them in 2 stroke/oil gas make them not rust?

Sam

At 32:1 the chains still developed rust.

Even with WD-40 sprayed on them the hanging chains where the WD-40 was able to drip off still rusted. Maybe because the WD-40 was dilluted by the remaining gas mix.

PB-Blaster did not inhibit the rust at all.

Diesel and kerosine seem to work a fair bit slower but are less likely to cause as much of a rusting issue.

Gasoline is not a safe parts washing solution and I am not recommending it as such. However those are the results that I have had.

I'm still intrigued with the ATF/Acetone mix mentioned the other day. :msp_drool:

Great thought on using mix gas. Maybe that's how I could get rid of or "use" all this outboard 2 cycle oil I have.

What ratio should I use? :bang:

I'd use the oil for my other 4 stroke equipment and my diesel car(get's 1:250). They just love that 2 stroke oil!

Try cleaning the chains with the WD 40 then if you want to keep them oiled, dribble a little oil on them from an old pump type oil can. WD is a great cleaner/ degreaser.

So I felt the need to throw my 2 cents on the pile...

I just got 14x Stihl 3/8 72DL semi chisel chains... All of which were those stupid green saftey chains!
I HATE SAFTEY CHAINS! :angry::angry::angry:

They all had an average 1/2 - 2/3 life left which is when I feel chain cuts best and Stihl chain is some of the best! But Nathan you say... What about the saftey rakers? What do you do? muah ha ha ha ha ha ha! (evil cackel) :blob2:

I used a pair of vise grips and my bench grinder! SAFTEY CHAIN NO MORE!
After I ground off all the saftey rakers from 6 of the chains (about 8mins each), I took them into my utility tub and gave them a quick scrub with a plastic bristle tire brush and dilluted purple power degreaser to remove any metal shavings and any old gunk. Rised them down with water and they look great now! Just need sharpened...

---- And the peasants can now rejoice! :kilt: :kilt: :kilt: :kilt: -----

For those looking for a good way to keep chain lubricated and stop rust/tarnish from forming... I have had great results with placing chain on top of a scott shop towel (thicker white kind), use a couple squirts of synthetic motor oil, wrap chain up in scott towel, and stick in a ziplock baggie or a chain box. Label chain package and toss in cabinette, or in a tool box that goes with when you cut wood.

The problem with most spray lubricants is that to make them thin enough to be aerosol sprays, they also tend to dry out or evaporate over time. Especially if you hang them up in open air... If you seal the chain with lube in a container the spray lubricant will last alot longer. If you want to last until next year i would probably dip the chain in some used (but clean) ATF, then wrap in the scott towel and put away... Plus I don't know about you guys but oily chain attracts all the metal, wood, and dust particles that are hanging in your shop air... You just spent the time to fix/clean your chain, so why would you leave them out to get dirty again?

You also need to think about the lubrication you are using... PB Blaster is made as a Penetrant, not a long lasting lubricant! So it's thin and will dry out over time. A synthetic lubricant will last the longest and give better lubrication when you first use the chain again. I know it's expensive to buy synthetic spray lubricants and we're not rich... So just get a $5-$8 synthetic qt of motor oil. Easily used in a tray for dipping or a old school, hand pump can... Plus you can use the same stuff to pre-lube when re-assembling a saw you're working on...

Last edited:
I have been using the mucked up fuel to start burn piles and my fire pit. Works great! And it does a fine job at controlling pesky blackberry vines from encroaching on my property.

You also need to think about the lubrication you are using... PB Blaster is made as a Penetrant, not a long lasting lubricant! So it's thin and will dry out over time. A synthetic lubricant will last the longest and give better lubrication when you first use the chain again. I know it's expensive to buy synthetic spray lubricants and we're not rich... So just get a $5-$8 synthetic qt of motor oil. Easily used in a tray for dipping or a old school, hand pump can... Plus you can use the same stuff to pre-lube when re-assembling a saw you're working on...

Rust Inhibitor is the 3rd line discription for PB Blaster, they sell lots of snake oil products and many of them list rust inhibitor as a quality. The product that they sell as a rust inhibitor works better but why spend the money when there is already bar lube around.

Thinned bar lube works very well as a rust inhibitor on the chains. Yeah, thinned with old mix.

Back