Using "Round Up" around trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rope, you're sounding a lot more scientific after your little hiatus from the site. Have you been taking courses?
No, I just study a bit but been a while for even that actually. Its funny; after 30 years of working trees and admittedly early days lots of incorrect work. I now know what interests me though it might be too late to join the hunt. Anyway; I will still self educate myself all I can.

I'm losing faith in the ability of mulch to suppress weeds. :(
It's been about seven weeks since I began this project and grass and violets are coming up through the mulch - some more than others.
Maybe I skimped on the mulch thickness? Some of the trees have about four inches of mulch and they look good, for the most part. As I went along, I guess I tried to stretch the mulch too thin. What is the optimal depth for mulch? I didn't want to get it too deep.
I have three yards paid for waiting for pick up at the store. Should I go back over what I've already done, or spread that on other trees not done yet and just spray the weeds/grass with Round-up?
I don't want to double up on the mulch if the crap is going to just come back up through it again.
DSC01696.JPG DSC01697.JPG DSC01698.JPG DSC01699.JPG

I'm losing faith in the ability of mulch to suppress weeds. :(
It's been about seven weeks since I began this project and grass and violets are coming up through the mulch - some more than others.
Maybe I skimped on the mulch thickness? Some of the trees have about four inches of mulch and they look good, for the most part. As I went along, I guess I tried to stretch the mulch too thin. What is the optimal depth for mulch? I didn't want to get it too deep.
I have three yards paid for waiting for pick up at the store. Should I go back over what I've already done, or spread that on other trees not done yet and just spray the weeds/grass with Round-up?
I don't want to double up on the mulch if the crap is going to just come back up through it again.
View attachment 519367 View attachment 519368 View attachment 519369 View attachment 519370
Lol oh it suppresses them just doesn't eradicate lol. It does help the trees though and conserve water and looks nicer! 4 inches is maximum btw

It doesn't entirely eliminate weeds, but it slows them down so that they are easier to manage manually. Of course there are some weeds that are nearly impossible to slow down, like some rhizome grasses..
There some chemical controls u can use that are easy to apply, like the Preen, but it also requires eliminating any existing weeds in the area first, and it only stops weed seeds from sprouting. It does not slow or stop anything regrowing from the roots.
There is a spray on pre-emergent called Weed Impede. It can be mixed with glyphosphate for double duty. Weather it is available in your state, I dont know.

FYI:

There is such a thing as the wrong kind of mulch around your Giant Sequoias trees!!

One of the three trees I planted last fall is thriving the other two have no new growth. I contacted the nursery I bought them from and the owner was very quick to offer advice...
Here is what he said:
"There is fungus that feeds on the decomposing wood that contaminates the shallow soil and helps prevent weeds. The giant sequoias are not deep rooted like most tree species. Their roots attempt to occupy the shallow soil that is contaminated by the fungus microbes that are feeding on the decomposing wood chips. The microbes are being picked up by the sequoia roots and are causing a problem."
:eek:
He said humus, or pete moss, which are fully decomposed would be better.

I'm waiting to hear back about using Round-up around these trees. Not sure it would be safe since they have very shallow feeder roots.

That mulch is moving tomorrow!!

Back