Using your feet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich, would your good friend be Lyle? If so I think I remember meeting you at Pitt.

Alianthus, I hear ya!!!

Big john I know your concern, we cleaned up this huge one last fall, two of us in it, I was out walking and the 3 1/2" limb I was standing on broke, just mid limb... I had lots of weight on my line, was pretty smooth going out, and was just working my way back in when BAM! I took the quick ride back to center! never saw it coming, and like I said the limb just snapped didn't tear at the crotch, no visible defect or anything, I would work poplars all week before going out thin on tree of heaven, which by the way did you ever wonder where the common name came from??? apparently they were often planted around ?buddist? monk's temples, and as such where close to heaven... however we (the crew) believe that by praying under one they thought you were more likely to go to heaven from being hit on the head by falling debris:p

i think a 2" limb at the crotch right over the column of the trunk is a lot diffrent than one leveraged out from the straight up and down support. Even as a fork off another limb, the total levearge on trunk connection should be considered.

Species and condition also would be factors, grabbing another backup or shared support could be tolerated/advised, when running close to the minimal line.

Also, a limb that is 50' up and looks as thick as your wrist, probably isn't..... IMLO

:alien:

That it does Rich. I believe I was showing my variation of the Distal, Tim from Sherril was there with us showing us the new arbormaster saddle. Your a big guy redish hair glasses? I'm 6'4 215 brown hair glasses. I was at penn state last year and competed with Lyle. I remember you.

Originally posted by BigJohn
That it does Rich. I believe I was showing my variation of the Distal, Tim from Sherril was there with us showing us the new arbormaster saddle. Your a big guy redish hair glasses? I'm 6'4 215 brown hair glasses. I was at penn state last year and competed with Lyle. I remember you.

Now I remember, you were real nice in showing me your hitches.

Any chance you could splice me a couple of tres cords?

Last edited:
hey rich, if you are wanting to become a better climber (based on your comment about your partner being better than you), drop using a pole saw for trimming or placing lowering lines. I don't know how much you use one while working but I do know that id you stop using one, you will find ways to get to where you want to go or where you want to place your line.
I learned this from mr sean gere. he has been a climber in the itcc several times and he was the one who told me the same exact thing. thing was, he was right. i have evolved over the past 2 yrs since he told me this.
just try it. at first it will slow you down, but after time you will be ableto do more production than the guy who is always asking for a pole saw and your work will be of better quality.
best of all, the climb will be way more rewarding knowing you climbed to every cut in the tree!

Originally posted by BigJohn
What's a pole saw?

pole saw: when you are watching the news and you SAW the POLES for the presidential election.:p

I'm a newbie, thought I needed a pole saw to reach hard to reach branch tips, bought one 4 months ago, and have used it maybe 4 or 6 times and one of those times was to prop up a cable so the trailor would fit underneath. It does come in handy but I have yet to bring it up in the tree with me. IMO it is much easier to make a cut when you can reach it w/ your hand saw.

-Mike-

I like to use my cheater straps (loop runners) when there is not a good hand/foot hold. When low on confidence or while having a not so stable climbing day, I tend to rely on them more than other days.

Just another random thought.
-Mike-
:)

Originally posted by dbeck
hey rich, if you are wanting to become a better climber (based on your comment about your partner being better than you), drop using a pole saw for trimming or placing lowering lines. I don't know how much you use one while working but I do know that id you stop using one, you will find ways to get to where you want to go or where you want to place your line.
I learned this from mr sean gere. he has been a climber in the itcc several times and he was the one who told me the same exact thing. thing was, he was right. i have evolved over the past 2 yrs since he told me this.
just try it. at first it will slow you down, but after time you will be ableto do more production than the guy who is always asking for a pole saw and your work will be of better quality.
best of all, the climb will be way more rewarding knowing you climbed to every cut in the tree!

That is the way we do things. A pole saw doesn't even go on the job. Although there are times when the branches are just to thin to support any weight, at this point a pruner is used.

Rich, keep in mind that with a well placed high TIP you can dance around out on the ends. Let your climbing line hold your weight and the limbs keep you in place. At 172 lbs (I lost 13 lbs this winter :rolleyes: ) I can get out on the end of pine limbs. :eek:

And I like my Zubat pole saw thank you very much. :D

Back