USPS... holy smokes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I mailed out a saw that was sold on here to PA. When I brought the box in to the post office, they told me it would be 4-7 days. I expected with the holidays it would probably be closer to 2 weeks.

I mailed it out on 20 Dec, arrived on 16 Jan!

It's been a while since I've mailed anything and checked the tracking, but it's not very informative. Is that normal?

January 16, 2018, 9:50 am
Delivered, Front Door/Porch
GETTYSBURG, PA 17325
Your item was delivered at the front door or porch at 9:50 am on January 16, 2018 in GETTYSBURG, PA 17325.
January 15, 2018, 10:31 am
Arrived at Hub
GETTYSBURG, PA 17325
January 14, 2018, 12:04 pm
In Transit to Destination
On its way to GETTYSBURG, PA 17325
January 13, 2018, 7:04 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
PHILADELPHIA PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
January 3, 2018, 12:22 pm
January 2, 2018, 12:22 pm
January 1, 2018, 12:22 pm
December 31, 2017, 10:22 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
SEATTLE WA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
December 23, 2017, 12:20 pm
December 22, 2017, 12:20 pm
December 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
December 20, 2017, 5:20 pm
Departed Post Office
PALMER, AK 99645
December 20, 2017, 10:49 am
USPS in possession of item
PALMER, AK 99645
December 19, 2017, 7:56 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
PALMER, AK 99645

Took me about that long to get something from California that i ordered on EBay, but my wife can order something 4 states away and get it in three days, USPS also.

Steve

My Mom sends me stuff from Maine every few months. I've gotten in it 3 days before... Like it was mailed Tuesday and I had it on Friday. Flat rate box.
I bought a bar for the firewood processor from Scotsco (out of Oregon).
Ordered it Wednesday night and it was here Friday morning. Planets much of been lined up on that one or something!

On the other side of things I have actually got deliveries on Sunday twice in the last few months. Not sure how they are sending them one was an electric percolator I bought off ebay and they only charged me shipping in the $8 to $9 range. I forgot what the other thing was but I sure did not ask for something special as far as shipping. Maybe they are sending it next day or getting confused somewhere at the post office.

I never ever use USPS to ship a saw within the US. Not only is the tracking NOT real time, but the price is much higher.

Maybe L48 to L48 it is. AK to L48 or L48 to AK is usually $$.

Would have been $95 shipping vs $67 with USPS. Not sure with FedEx, there's only a UPS place in town.

Reminds me of a friend's wife trying to order some craft supplies. They told her.. oh... Alaska? Sorry, we only ship to the US.
FWIW, the Anchorage airport is the 4th busiest freight terminal in the world.

I guess I'm mostly surprised that a 4-7 day shipping quote would take 3x that. Parcel Post (7-10 day) would have taken 2 months?

Just last week i bought a saw that shipped from northern indiana, about six hours by car from me and it took a week. Got a tracking alert a couple days after the expected delivery date, saying that the package was not going to make it by the expected delivery date lol.

Wow! USPS getting hammered here, guess I must just be lucky. I have better service and pricing with them then any other carrier here in the southeast. I even shipped to Canada once with the only issue was sketchy tracking once it crossed the border. Ups and fed ex are not very convenient for me and there's a post office around every corner is why I use them. I even had a damage claim once, it took a few emails and a couple weeks, but they did take care of it.

I just suspect the holidays as the reason for the delay. Nowadays most do shopping online and I think the carriers hadn't quite figured out how to keep up with the demand yet.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The package was mis shipped to Seattle Washington
I stand corrected, I mis read the Sellers state, at least it made it, that is a long way ground, it stops off at many locations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The package was mis shipped to Seattle Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it was mis-shipped. Going through Seattle seems to be a reasonable way to get from Alaska to Pennsylvania. With the holidays (three federal holidays in that time frame) and the bad weather across our country lately, I wouldn't call any of that "usual" when comparing to "usual" shipping times.

I have always had good results with USPS. Yesterday, I received a watch my wife ordered on Tuesday from half-way across the country. Two days is pretty remarkable.

usps-tracking-1-package-has-left-facility-2-we-have-9799491.png

Back