Utility Tree Trim question... "Not-To-Exceed"???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PancakeJack

ISA CMUA
Reaction score
Hey guys - Thanks in advance for any comments/advice about this. We are a family-owned tree care corporation location on Long Island, NY. We have been doing utility tree trim for the local utility for over 25 years. In all that time, and through all the utility BS, we have never encountered this situation, so my boss asked me to throw it out there to see if any other companies from around the country have come across the same thing. The utility is trying to force us contractors into a "Not To Exceed" agreement, stating that NTE agreements are all the rage, across the country. It's designed to take all of us contractors that are getting high off the hog while working for utility companies down a peg or two. According to the utility, they have the right to change the rules in the middle of the game - after set pricing and terms have been established and signed into contract - without our approval.

The new utility manager, PSEG, took over for National Grid on Jan 1, 2014. We discussed and established pricing with them in December and signed the amendment into our 5-year contract, in which we are working on year 3. Three months into the game, they tell us that they want "better" pricing because they are facing a budget shortfall. We're not sure how that happened. They knew what their budget was, and they knew how many miles they want to trim. When we gave them the updated prices for 2014, i guess they never bothered to do the math. Regardless, in the spirit of good faith, we took a good, hard look inside and figured out where we could shed a shekel or two, and submitted "better" prices. Apparently, our "better" prices were not as "better" as they hoped, and when they called us contractors in individually, they told us that they are accepting the "better" numbers, and that they are in the process of instituting a "Not To Exceed" spec. The way they explained it to is goes something like this:

The 2014 utility tree trim work is being funded by federal money (which is, as yet not confirmed), so we need to comply with the Davis Bacon Act and submit certified payrolls for each circuit worked. After we submit the CP's, they will do some fantasy math to determine our "costs" for the circuit....based solely on the payroll+benefits. If what they think our costs are comes out to a certain percentage away from the already-established circuit price, they we will get paid the already-established circuit price. If what they think our costs are comes out to LESS than that certain percentage away, then we would get paid 10% on top of what they think our costs are, and the remainder - up to the already established circuit price - would be split 50/50 between the contractor and the utility.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but IF federal money is allocated for a project, it needs to end up 100% in the hands of a contractor, no? If the federal government is giving PSEG a grant of, let's say $40 million to perform 2014 tree trim on Long Island (and that bottom line number is established by the amendment to our contract), using this new NTE agreement could mean that, by the end of the year, $32 million gets paid to the contractors and $8 mill ends up in PSEG's bank account. That doesn't sound like a legal use of federal funds.

If any of you have had any experience with a NTE or some other kind of 50/50 "profit sharing" plan with a local utility, i would appreciate some feedback! This is just another lovely day working on Long Island! Thanks!

.....Correct me if i'm wrong, but IF federal money is allocated for a project, it needs to end up 100% in the hands of a contractor, no? If the federal government is giving PSEG a grant of, let's say $40 million to perform 2014 tree trim on Long Island (and that bottom line number is established by the amendment to our contract), using this new NTE agreement could mean that, by the end of the year, $32 million gets paid to the contractors and $8 mill ends up in PSEG's bank account. That doesn't sound like a legal use of federal funds.
NO!!! It is almost a given that whoever is handling a grant will siphon off a big chunk often 20-25% or more for "administrative costs".

As for Not To Exceed contracts...I see that as an opportunity to leave myself some wiggle room. SO if you have a project you would normally bid $100K for, I'd think a NTE bid looks like this, "our estimate is $100K, but the price will not exceed $115K". But it does not sound like that is what they are doing here.

It sounds like they want to violate an existing contract and are warning you to make you less likely to fight it. They may have grounds to violate the contract but it is unlikely. I would talk to a contract lawyer. They may have decided that they will make more money from companies voluntarily going along with their new scheme than they will have to pay out in legal fees from companies that fight it. I would definitely have a lawyer look over all future contracts with them and include that in your cost of doing business with the new utility so you can get your 10% markup that they allow and encourage others to do the same.

Cost plus contracts may cause a short term drop in prices when they are implemented but generally increase contract prices over time because it is easy to increase costs or wages to increase your 10%. It seems like the not to exceed limit would eventually drive up costs even more as companies will eventually have unforeseen expenses and put them out of business. The worse a company is managed the larger their cushion will be and the more likely they will be to survive problems because they could easily cut a lot of expenses. The surviving companies would be in a more powerful bargaining position in future negotiations because they have less competition. It may be worth while to go up a few levels of management and see if they even know what is going on and what the long term consequences of this new strategy are.

I would also talk to your legislators. The utility is implementing a strategy that discourages innovation and investment. A strategy that encourages companies to be bloated and inefficient. And a strategy that will eventually lead to higher grant amounts and, or higher electric prices for consumers.

My first step would be to go to your local Universities college of business and find a professor that would be willing to get you some studies that show the effects of cost plus pricing and not to exceed limits. When you give someone a copy and they still disagree with you then you will know they have an agenda and they are not just ignorant.

Hey - Thanks for the responses! Yes, we agree that the set-up that the utility is proposing discourages a lot of things. It definitely discourages innovation and investment because additional expenses like trucks and crew members which would increase costs, can normally be off-set by the increased production which would lead to (hopefully/potentially) increased profit margin, but in this case, we already know that any potential increase in profit would end up being split with the utility. So why should we add to our payroll and vehicle expenses - which we had already increased significantly at the beginning of this year when the contract change order that we and the utility signed stated that the pricing would be fixed for the entire calendar year 2014?? Put on more workers and buy more trucks so that we can make more money to give back to the utility? No thanks. And why would we work weekends and OT to get circuits done to stay on schedule? We get a 20-day circuit done in 10 days to split the profit with the utility or we get a 20-day circuit done in 20+ days, take our +/- 10%, the utility gets 0% kickback and that's that. The only thing this set up encourages us to do is CUT costs - i.e., work force reductions, ZERO OT opportunities, transferring a few vehicles to another division - we would work at bare bones capacity because the NTE completely de-incentivizes the completion of our 2014 schedule. We went through all the time and effort to come up with reasonable (from our perspective, being a business that exists in the REAL world and is dealing with REAL costs of doing business on Long Island) per-mile prices that would enable us to work at the capacity necessary to complete the work required in the time required in a manner that provides us with the profit required to stay in business, and now the utility is trying to just nullify those prices.

If this was bid as a Not-To-Exceed agreement, and we had an opportunity to understand the rules surrounding it and price the work accordingly, and then strategize accordingly, i don't imagine there would be an issues, but this isn't the case. This was bid and signed into contract as lump sum work. We gave the prices, the utility accepted the prices and the risk was on us to perform in a way that enabled us to stay profitable. If we were told right off the bat that this would be set up as an NTE, our pricing and our workforce/fleet strategy would have been vastly different. That is our issue with this.

Unfortunately, there is not much we can do, when it comes to the wages. The Davis Bacon Act, which is meant to insure that laborers working on FEDERAL contracts are paid at least local prevailing wage, only specifies that field labor and mechanics "count" as labor. In the eyes of the utility, supervision "doesn't count," administrative staff "doesn't count," repair and maintenance expenses "don't count," insurance increases "don't mean the contract can be changed." I wish we worked in this fantasy world that the utility lives in. Life would be a lot simpler!

There are a lot of suspicious circumstances surrounding this NTE mess. I had a couple conversations with Department of Labor officials on Friday that pointed out a few key things, when it comes to the Davis Bacon Act (which seems to be the entire basis for the NTE agreement - by telling us that we need to comply with DBA and requiring CP's, the utility can "determine" our "costs" and "profit.") According to the local DOL Wage and Hour Division Director, there is not any agreement between the Federal Government and PSEG, going back 12 months. In order to DBA to apply, the project would need to be "construction." The type of work that we do would be considered "maintenance," so DBA shouldn't even be a factor. Apparently, a local utility cannot be directly provided funds by the federal government. The money could originate with a federal department or program, but it would be given to the state, who would then provide it to the utility. The fact that the money goes from the fed to the state, nullifies the applicability of the DBA, which means that we should NOT be legally required to submit the CP's to the utility, which means that the basis for their scheme disappears. The next few days/weeks of discussion should be interesting.

And as far as the comment about talking to local legislators, we have definitely considered that. However, when you describe something as being "bloated and inefficient," and actions eventually leading to "increased grant amounts," and increased money coming in, that sounds like what goes on with our local government, here in NY. I can't think of a legislator around here that would be in favor of helping a business to save its profits at the "expense" of public money that funds a utility. But we're definitely looking into it.

We appreciate the feedback. For anyone else out there reading this, if you have any comments/opinions about the situation, please weigh in, by all means. Thanks!

Back