value of brand new 1979 Pioneer P28

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas. Someone just gave me a brand new 1979 Pioneer P28 saw that is still in the box. It hasn't even been assembled. I'm wondering what this saw might be worth. Also, someone who I showed it to wants to trade me a two year old Stihl 026 straight up for it. Do you guys have any thoughts on the situation or advice on what I should do. Thanks guys.

Get him to throw in a few chains and a case and then go for it. I dont think the late 70's is a particularly valuable time for pioneer chain saws, though I am certainly not an expert on them. Do you collect old saws? If not I would trade it while you have someone who wants it. Talk to a guy named "Pioneer" on this site, he may be able to give you a value. I suspect it is mostly sentimental value, I know I would like to get ahold of a never used 79 Husky!

Thats a neat find you have. The P28 is 51 cc and has nice vibration damping handles. Break in is 16:1 and 24:1 after. I have the service manual for it so I can tell you alot more if you want. I would hold on to it but thats me. Its a good saw, might not be the fastes but they are tough. I've had great luck with my 70's Pioneer. My grandfather's 1100 still works even after being half burnt up in a truck fire! I'm not sure of value, the right person might give you a good amount. They are harder to find and not as popular as other brands for used saws. If you ever want to sell it I may be interested. But I think you'd be happy with it if you decide to keep it.

Darin, my wife would leave me in a minute if I parked an orange 79 Pinto in my driveway. I dont like orange that much

boy something that is orange and a ford product it is cursed right off the production line. but it would be fun to go beating with as long as you don't get rear ended and blow up.

Hey Rubicon,

I would be interested in purchasing the saw also...if you are interested in selling that is...The fact is that the value probably wont ever go back down on it, only up...something to think about.

Hey, I wouldnt mind an orange pinto (as long as it had a big white T on both doors!!!!!) go vols..:)

I would like to see the Vols come up against the University of Michigan in a bowl game. Then we would see my truly favorite colors Maize and Blue!

Back