Veggie burger mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A10egress

This place costs me money.
Reaction score
So, I know some will flame me for liking Veggie burgers but hey.... I like 'em just as much as 100% all beef, chicken or whatever. Lately I been making simple veggie burgers using mashed black beans, chick peas, chopping onions, peppers, a egg and some oats as a binder. Add in some liquid smoke and seasonings and its been OK cooked in some EVOO on a cast iron skillet. I usually eat in on a bed of fried kale with some parmesan chese sprinkled over the whole plate..

Anyone else do anything similar???

So, I know some will flame me for liking Veggie burgers but hey.... I like 'em just as much as 100% all beef, chicken or whatever. Lately I been making simple veggie burgers using mashed black beans, chick peas, chopping onions, peppers, a egg and some oats as a binder. Add in some liquid smoke and seasonings and its been OK cooked in some EVOO on a cast iron skillet. I usually eat in on a bed of fried kale with some parmesan chese sprinkled over the whole plate..

Sounds great...but I'm too lazy as there are lots of varieties of Veggie patties already on the market.

well i appreciate the honesty.... LOL, i went that way for a while buyign pre-made but always found myself just as hungry after eating them

That sounds really good. I still like 100% beef more though. The frozen veggie patties are hit or miss. Some have been good and others terrible. Morning star have been the best so far. I’ll have to try some homemade this summer. Veggie burgers are usually a summer lunch for me.

i have found each batch was different until i got the base down with the oats.... i tried cornmeal/ breadcrumbs as a filler but it was grainy tasting... the oats do well and to be honest, a batch lasts all week and is dirt cheap wholesome food.

I cannot remember the brand but had some awesome veggie burgers a few times. They had broccoli, onion, carrot, and Lima bean amongst other stuff. Fried in a bit of butter they were superb.

I have tried two or three different veggie burgers and all were bad, one was really bad. now granted these were frozen ones sold by different companies. Now i am not immune to tasting another one but unless someone can introduce me to one that taste decent I will stick to deer burgers.

its certainly not for everyone but for myself, if the taste is good and the consistency is close to a meat burger.... with the right cheese.... Im good to go.

I make similar for my vegetarian Wife.
Want to ask you what kind of peppers do you use and how many cans of beans and chick peas do you use per recipe?
What's your ratio?
Have you ever frozen them for later meals?

I make similar for my vegetarian Wife.
Want to ask you what kind of peppers do you use and how many cans of beans and chick peas do you use per recipe?
What's your ratio?
Have you ever frozen them for later meals?

dice up one green bell pepper and some onion ( amount of onion to your liking) and sautee in some olive oil...... then add in one can black beans, one can of chick peas... simmer low for 30 mins... allow to cool, mash to a mush (or use a blender), add in some cooked (but cooled to room temp) oats and a egg or two. In the fridge overnight... make up a patty like you would meat, slow fry in some oil til desired harndness. I like frying til a little bit crispy, but thats just me. Its not pretty but hearty, filling and with some gorgonzola cheese.... yummy. I wish i could give an exact on the oats, but Ive just been kinda "winging it" and people tastes vary. I have not frozen them yet, but might have to try!

I am going to try your recipe, thx.
25-30yrs ago I was working a local fair & a bunch of (blue-hair/ladies) were trying to give away
'veggie' burgers at their booth and not having much luck.
One finally, talked me into trying one & it was perty damn good! I went back to tell them I liked it,
and ended up with a free 'veggie' burger every time I walked by...lol.
Beer & veggie burgers all week long- that was a damn good fair :D

Back