Venison Heart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow! PIcked up a road kill yesterday, and most of the good parts were intact despite the severe impact this big buck took. So severe one of his 3 point with brow tine antler got knock off and I was unable to find it. I got the still attached antler now being clean up.

So the heart. Pretty basic. Sautéed some onions, some mushrooms, olive oil, salt&pepper, butter and a portion of the heart cubed and tossed into a medium heated pan. Wow. I bet any part of the deer cooked in this fashion is going to be similarly incredible. I will be eating a lot more Venison.

I do it a bit different with my heart. Soak in cold water and expel any blood clots from the chambers. Then I boil it in salt water for 45 minutes with a couple bay leaves in the pot. The important part-trim all of that fat off the outside. Then slice it thin and sprinkle a little salt on the pieces. We usually devour it warm but heart sandwiches with mayo are awesome too.

never had deer heart, but have had beef heart. however, I am always up for venison backstrap with my breakfast. couple days ago, fresh yard eggs from one of my fav flocks.

P4150003.JPG
P4150004.JPG
P4150005.JPG

I got it back. Wow!

Neighbor came over to borrow a flood light, and I was telling him how much I enjoyed cooking and eating the Venison Heart. I had given him and his wife the bear heart a few weeks ago, and he figured I would want it back and I now got it. I can’t wait to try it. What a great bear. So much and it is all good.

We usually eat the Venison heart while we're butchering the deer.

We slice it bout a quarter inch thick, fairly thin. Melt some butter in a cast iron pan, fry them up, toss on some kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper then eat them right out of the pan.

Heart is delicious.

We also usually eat the inner loins that night if there's a few people around to share with and the heart isn't enough. Loins get salt and pepper, then seared in a ripping hot cast iron pan. Transferred to the oven at 300. Remove at around 125ºF internal and let rest a few minutes. Slice and serve. Amazing.

I wash the heart out to remove any blood clots. Trim off any fat, and excess junk like valves, etc. Slice sideways about 1/2" thick from top to bottom. Dip in dry baking mix like you'd use to fry fish, fry in almost smoking hot olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Just cook so the pieces are still a little bit pink inside.

Deer & elk heart are the only organ meat I keep. My hunting partner likes liver and I like the heart so it all works out.
Once I had to send him out to a gut pile to retrieve "my" heart when he left it behind.
I trim the meat inside and out, then pan fry in olive oil with garlic, onions, and peppers.
It's become a harvest celebration in camp.
Some people don't understand that the heart is one of the finest muscles in an animals body.

Latest posts

Back