Venom vs Safari for EAB basal bark treatments

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osteoart

candidate for CAD
Reaction score
Is there any reason that Venom should not be used instead of Safari for EAB treatments?

Venom isn't labeled for EAB. It has more dinotefuran than Safari per oz, and so is harder to mix accurately for small volumes (it is labeled for 1 to 5 oz per acre of crops).

Well any practical reasons. It will dissolve in warm water and patience and the math is not so hard to figure out for smaller batches. Sorry for sounding like a know it all uniballer. I asked and you replied. Thank you.

It's not labeled for it...which means it is illegal to use it for EAB.

But I'd ask why dinotefuran. It is an expensive way to treat. Imidacloprid is just as effective, but a whole lot cheaper. Even Tree-AGE is less year-to-year average than dinotefuran. I use Safari and Transtect for plenty of other uses...but not EAB.

Because for a second year in a row my arborist/forester and the other registered arborjet applicator in my area have failed to show up for treatment for this tree. And dinotefuran will work later in the season than Imidcloprid.
Dinotefuran is labled for basal bark treatment for EAB even if Venom is not. I am not worred about the tree police and I held a restricted use license for over 20 years that was the highest classification (class 8) that is issued in KY.When I retired I chose not keep my registration current. I am not an uneducated property owner slinging nicotine poison on themselves and the environment.

Because for a second year in a row my arborist/forester and the other registered arborjet applicator in my area have failed to show up for treatment for this tree. And dinotefuran will work later in the season than Imidcloprid.
Dinotefuran is labled for basal bark treatment for EAB even if Venom is not. I am not worred about the tree police and I held a restricted use license for over 20 years that was the highest classification (class 8) that is issued in KY.When I retired I chose not keep my registration current. I am not an uneducated property owner slinging nicotine poison on themselves and the environment.
The formulation of Venom may not be compatible for translocation through bark the way Safari or Transtect does. Just a guess.

If it did translocate, why would the company not seek label approval for that type of application? It would be like throwing away market share.

The formulation of Venom may not be compatible for translocation through bark the way Safari or Transtect does. Just a guess.

If it did translocate, why would the company not seek label approval for that type of application? It would be like throwing away market share.
You may be right about Venom having an ingredient that may not let it penetrate the bark as well as Safari. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find out before using it tomorrow.

Back