Vermeer 252 brake disengagement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dstyduhar I beleive our triangular clutch is factory. A man I spoke to a few times that had 6 of these machines at one point said the earlier ones are round and newer ones are triangular. When I told him I had a “newer” machine with a triangular clutch, he said good, you’ll prob never need to replace it. Apparently the triangular ones were made better than the previous generation. At least that’s what I was told.

More importantly for now, you sir I beleive are missing a spring. I’m pretty sure the traingle clutches all have one.

The clutch should not really smack the housing, on disengagement I think. I broke mine once after the most massive jammup I probably ever had, and I think the last two times I either started or shut off the wheel that day whithout the spring it smacked pretty good. Hated that noise. Shipping cost me more than the damn spring so I ordered 3.

The spring is 4.5” long if you need one quickly, which I did not know when I broke and lost the old one, made matching one up all but impossible. Maybe you’ll have better luck. I’ve included a picture of mine with a tape and a new spare for the part number.

If you find a suitable replacement let me know! I was chasing drum brake springs I just never found the right one and the Vermeer one came next day.

Thanks for corresponding with me on 252s
Bruce
View attachment 835276
Where exactly does that spring attach to. Looking for a picture if possible?

Where exactly does that spring attach to. Looking for a picture if possible?
Mine goes from the left hand side of the clutch down to a hole. I beleive I have the newer style clutch, kind of trianglular.

I beleive if I remeber correctly from a photo from @dstyduhar on the circle style clutch it defiantly goes a different way.

If you have not found the 252 upgrade thread, you should. Bookmark it. Read it a few times. 252’s can still be profitable. Mine is. Good implementation of simple mods in that thread. Maybe even the photos you need.

I can take a picture of mine early next week if I can’t find you one or you can’t find one on AS somewhere.

Do you have triangular or circular??

Bruce

Mine goes from the left hand side of the clutch down to a hole. I beleive I have the newer style clutch, kind of trianglular.

I beleive if I remeber correctly from a photo from @dstyduhar on the circle style clutch it defiantly goes a different way.

If you have not found the 252 upgrade thread, you should. Bookmark it. Read it a few times. 252’s can still be profitable. Mine is. Good implementation of simple mods in that thread. Maybe even the photos you need.

I can take a picture of mine early next week if I can’t find you one or you can’t find one on AS somewhere.

Do you have triangular or circular??

Bruce
Triangle.

Back