Vermeer 352 grinder , daihatsu engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juststumps

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Few days ago , my seven year old 352 , with 478 hours on it , GRENADED !!!! Connecting rod , punched two holes in the block . Got a new engine coming , $5500 US !! Not very happy . Will never buy another VERMEER product again . They knew there was a problem with this motor , and basically walked away from it . Nice machine , till it blows up .

Didn't they change over to Yanmar or some other engine on the 352? And if so why don't you convert to the better engine ?

372 , totally different machine . When i called Vermeer. they told me the only other engine, that would drop into my machine, was the gas briggs...

my diahatsu died too not buying another one just brought a second hand 38 hp yanmar 3 cyl diesel out of john deere ride on just started doing conversion any body else done conversion on same ?

just about finished engine conversion just need to lend tacho to set revs and shes ready to try out:clap:

SC352 Daihatsu engine conversion

I see people are trying to dump the Daihatsu and install something else. Yeah, me too. I have a 2005 SC352 with hard starting for about a month. Once it started, cut fine. After grinder after the Sandy hurricane, the turbo started leaking oil and making noise. The motor stalled and never ran again. I bypassed the turbo and still would not start. I pulled the head to see 2 cylinders with worn. Thought it was the headgasket. Put a new $120 (us) gasket set on and still would not start. Want to install a different engine with minimal modifications. Any alternatives? I'm hearing the Briggs big blocks are good

I just purchased a 352 with a blown engine with the intent to swap out the failed diesel Daihatsu with a proven conversion that works. Would love to hear from what engine swaps Gas or Diesel. I did an engine upgrade on my 222 by retrofitting a with 33hp Generac gas engine. The conversion an adding a Sanvik cutting wheel increased the cutting productivity time in half. I would like hear from this community on replacement engine options for the SC352 Thanks George

SC352 Daihatsu engine conversion

I see people are trying to dump the Daihatsu and install something else. Yeah, me too. I have a 2005 SC352 with hard starting for about a month. Once it started, cut fine. After grinder after the Sandy hurricane, the turbo started leaking oil and making noise. The motor stalled and never ran again. I bypassed the turbo and still would not start. I pulled the head to see 2 cylinders with worn. Thought it was the headgasket. Put a new $120 (us) gasket set on and still would not start. Want to install a different engine with minimal modifications. Any alternatives? I'm hearing the Briggs big blocks are good

Hi Was wondering how you made out with finding information and recommendations on what power plant to drop into your 352. Thanks George

Hi Was wondering how you made out with finding information and recommendations on what power plant to drop into your 352. Thanks George
Blew Diahatsu engine at about 450 hrs. Bought new engine and fitted it and have run 1000 hrs with no problems since. When new engine was fitted we did an rpm check to make sure everything was correct which it was, but found the new engine was running slower than the blown engine. When we put the old engine together and eventually got it running, we found it revving 600 rpm faster than the new one. This is on a sick engine that had flogged out cylinders, worn pistons and broken rings. Imagine what it was doing when it was built. Owner had to put his hand in his pocket for repairs. Dealer walked away. Where have i heard that before.

I just purchased a 352 with a blown engine with the intent to swap out the failed diesel Daihatsu with a proven conversion that works. Would love to hear from what engine swaps Gas or Diesel. I did an engine upgrade on my 222 by retrofitting a with 33hp Generac gas engine. The conversion an adding a Sanvik cutting wheel increased the cutting productivity time in half. I would like hear from this community on replacement engine options for the SC352 Thanks George

I have a blown 352 as well. What are you doing with the motor? Mine has bad crank bearings/journals. I'm gonna see about getting the crank milled and doing larger bearings. What is wrong with your motor? If I can't repair the diesel motor, I'm gonna go with a 35hp Briggs gas motor.

I did an engine upgrade on my 222 by retrofitting a with 33hp Generac gas engine.

George, I'm planing the same with my 252 and a subaru engine which are somewhat labeled generacs.

How many hours do you got on the generac and how is it on fuel?
I think the mounting plate needs some slight modification, everything else should fit, any other complaints?

Many thanks
Marne

I know this is an old post, but I have run out of options on replacing my vermeer 352 engine (daihatsu diesel.) I have 2 machines. I lost the engine on the first one 2 years ago but was able to find another Daihtsu to replace it. It has worked well since. But the engine on the 2nd machine also went and I've been trying for 3 months to find something to replace it. I am hoping someone who read this post several years ago may have had better luck with finding something that didn't need too many modifications.

Hi Aldo, the machine with the bad engine is now in the shop being fitted for a gasoline engine. I will probably keep that one. But I do have another 352 that I replaced the engine last year, probably 200 hours on it by now that I would consider selling soon. Haven't thought about a price yet. I also have a Holt Eraser HGW60R stump grinder. It's a 60 HP diesel, fully remote monster. Holt just started producing these machines a bout a year ago. The specs are on the Holt industries web site. It's big and bulky and has an 80" swing for the cutting wheel. I can't get used to the remote and doesn't suit me very well and am looking to get rid of it. But if you have an interest in the 352, I'll let you know what's up with that after the other one gets refitted.

Hi Aldo, the machine with the bad engine is now in the shop being fitted for a gasoline engine. I will probably keep that one. But I do have another 352 that I replaced the engine last year, probably 200 hours on it by now that I would consider selling soon. Haven't thought about a price yet. I also have a Holt Eraser HGW60R stump grinder. It's a 60 HP diesel, fully remote monster. Holt just started producing these machines a bout a year ago. The specs are on the Holt industries web site. It's big and bulky and has an 80" swing for the cutting wheel. I can't get used to the remote and doesn't suit me very well and am looking to get rid of it. But if you have an interest in the 352, I'll let you know what's up with that after the other one gets refitted.
I

What is wrong with the Diesel engine you removing from the grinder ?
I know how to fix this engines
And I can get the parts no problem if you need help
If i was you I would not replace the engine with a gas one
You can call me if you like trust me I can help you

That is the reason why I'm interested an buying the machine with bad engine

Back