vermeer 362 stump grinder or Carlton 5014?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new stump grinder about 35hp. I like the vermeer 362 but don't like the yellow jacket teeth. The Carlton 5014 is very similar. I've been using a vermeer 352 with a revolution wheel that meets the needs for what I do. Anyone have any experience with similar machines or recommendations for a new one?

I run a 252. Small potatoes compared to what your looking at. I’m chiming in because I did not like yellow jacket teeth either. I’ve switched to green teeth, some other minor mods to machine and I do the best I can to keep up with machines your size and small diesels. Gotta shapen them green teeth, but they cut awesome, even better than new after sharpening. I have the jig set up and let them build up a week or so and then spend an hour or two sharpening all at once instead of at end of each day, few minutes a tooth is all it takes.

Bruce

Jimma, Haven't been on for a while. I have a SP4012 Carlton,33HP Kobota ,all wheel drive ,wireless remote, all wheel drive with a Sanvic wheel, which is similar to a revolution wheel.I absolutely love it ! The 5014 has another 10 degrees swing which is nice.I think it is a stouter machine compared to a 362.The only thing I regret is I live on the south coast of Ma. and the dealer I used in Attleboro stopped handling Carlton so I have to go to Wilmington now which isn't that far from you.If you decide to look @ a Carlton,sent me PM,i can tell you what to look for on wear items.

Hey Stump grinder 52 nice to hear from you. Just got in touch with Shelter tree that was suppose to be the dealer for Carlton in this neck of the woods but they referred me to Wilmington. That was one of my biggest problems with vermeer is they are so far from me in Hopkinton. Not sure that Wilmington is any closer. But I'm leaning toward the Carlton. I would be able to stay with the Sanvic wheel and don't need any other bells and whistles. I thought about the grading blade but I have one on my bigger machine and don't use it. I just wanted to make sure it cuts as good as the vermeer 352 with the revolution wheel that I use most of the time. I probably will only be doing this for another year or two and could probably nurse my 352 along for that time, but it's getting old and tired, like me, and I'm just looking for something that will not require many fixes over that time. Anyway thanks for the input, it was very helpful.

Jimma, I live in Swansea, so Shelter was my go to place,George the owner was super! My machine has a blade, when I bought it(used} thought it was a joke, but with the wireless remote it's pretty slick use it all the time!So is the wireless remote, really brings up the productivity, you can stay along the wheel and see what your grinding.I'm old 68 I've had the machine for 5 years, gave me a new lease on life, machine does 90 percent of the work! Tree and Landscaping magazine has a couple of listed, private party.

Hey Stump grinder 52, I'm 71. Don"t mind the cleaning up as much as the repairs to the machine. I really don't do too much clean up anyway. I neaten it up and either leave in a neat pile or rake it flat. For big jobs where there would be a lot of raking, I bring my grand daughter. Left a message with the Carlton rep today. I'll see what we can work out.

Yes effective June 1st,George sold out to a big company ,still going to be there ,just selling arborist equipment and assesories.Will miss him he's a good man

Back