Vermeer 630A - one mans junk, is another mans treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry i haven't sent pics, got called out of town. If you have recieved your manual there are drawings in there. Will get you measurements and PM you.

that's fine-I've been working on the machine and have got a lot done-it's running very good- put new belts on it and getting ready for new teeth. I found dual belts for $20- Vermeer wants $85. New module and coil,(got rid of points), new fuel pump, changed a lot of grease fittings, painted it, changed hydraulic oil and filter. Soon I'm going to change all hoses-that's gonna cost $$$. Things running great, I'm happy!

I got my teeth on Friday and installed them-it's starting to kook like a grinder now-the LEONARDI teeth look pretty good - we'll see how they cut. MARK, I got a pretty good close up picture of the cover and obviously I can see where it bolts up, but measurements would help, thanks
Sorry i haven't sent pics, got called out of town. If you have recieved your manual there are drawings in there. Will get you measurements and PM you.

I had a 630 A for about 20 years. It's a nice machine. The wheels rotate in so it will go through a 36 inch gate. I towed it around yards with a JD 265. I liked it better than the Veneer 282. Just be careful when the wheels are in, it will tip over. Sorry Jeff, it will stomp your Dosko. I guess I'm showing my age. We replaced our Vermeer model 15 with the 630 A. I think the model 15 was one of Vermeers biggest grinders of it's day. It will inch worm it's way around a yard on it's own. I put a cheap 12 volt winch on mine. It helped in tight places, Joe.

Here's a pic of my old 630. The wheels don't actually rotate in. You have to swing the engine all the way to one side, with it in neutral, drop the cutter wheel down, picking the tire up off the ground. There is a pin you pull and the wheel will slide out, then you slide it back on from under the cutting deck. Lift cutting wheel back up and swing to the other side and repeat. Mine was hard as heck to get the wheels off. The guy that had it before me didn't know they came off. Once you get them to slide off keep a coat of anti seize on them and they will slide on and off easy, Joe.

I just went back and looked at your pics on the real computer, cell was too small. Someone painted over your depth stickers. If you look at my pic you can see the black stripes on the hydraulic cylinder. There is a sliding pin that runs in and out. It shows you how big of a bite you are taking. With sharp cutters you can take a whole black notch with one bite. Same with the up down cylinder. Good luck, Joe.

Do you have the tooth setting gauge? I think I saw mine the other day. There is a mark on the cutting wheel that is where you start, then the gauge marks where you set the teeth. When I got mine the previous owner just put a bunch of left and right teeth on in no particular order, it cut OK. Put the teeth on right and it cuts really nice. If you want the gauge, and I can find it, I'll send it to you, Joe.

[QUOTE="rarefish383, post: 6035851, member: 42490"]Here's a pic of my old 630. The wheels don't actually rotate in., Joe.

[/QUOTE]

I am not a newbie, my dosko would kick its ass in man hours,
Our tow behind 672 would grind your grinder,,:heart:
77hp diesel Deutz with yellow jackets,,
by the time you mess with a 630A getting it to the stump, it would be gone before you got there,,
Jeff :dancing:

I know, the 672 is a big machine. The old 665 was a lot bigger. Our old model 15 would eat it up, the 630, and spit it out. But I don't remember any self propelled models back then and the 630 would fit through a gate. It would tow behind a jeep or S10. The 15 would beat a 3/4 ton to death. I've only used one Dosco, a rental unit. When I told the guy I was taking it 20 miles down the highway, he said I had to trailer it, it couldn't tow behind, over 35 MPH. It was a man killer, I still have most of my teeth, and was thinking about chewing the stumps out! On a Jeep or small pickup you can get anywhere in a yard except a gate. Just saying it's a nice old machine, not the newest, hottest, greatest, just nice. Kind of like the old Timex, took a lickin, kept on tickin, Joe.

I just threw another $500 at this thing by way of a new starter and carb-MAN, let me tell you- this thing runs and starts like a raped ape. I took my dragging (very slow starter) to a local rebuilder and he wanted $200 just to rebuild it. I found a brand new one for $210, New carb, $216.....this old Wisconsin don't know what to think. I'm lovin it- hit the key and she's running. Well worth the investment.

You should get it media blasted and get rid of all that built up paint. Then repaint with factory color.

actually , I talked to Vermeer in Orlando today and they say it's a 35HP engine , not 30. But anyway, I did the electronic conversion on the distributor today and she fired right up, runs like a top. I put the FLAME THROWER module and coil on it- new set of plugs and it did just what they said it would do. Now that I know the motor runs I'll be on to other things. I'm going to change all hoses and belts (found dual belts for $20 ea) , new teeth, and go from there. I might even put the 11th coat of paint on it.

Hey looking for a cutter wheel for a Vermeer 630a also workout electronic how much did you put it

Back