Vermeer BC 1500 supports beneath feed rollers cracked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim lloyd

Reaction score
While I was inspecting a wood chipper our company wanted to purchase, I found that when looking up from underneath the rear of the machine, there are three rectangular channels welded to the floor from side to side. They are about eight inches wide and five inches deep by the width of the machine, fifty two inches. They appear to be intended to stiffen the floor in the area of the feed wheels. The one closest to the feed wheels, the forward most of three, shows metal fatigue and is broken away from the (good) welds. I know these machines see a lot of vibration and take a lot of punishment doing the job. Has anyone else seen or repaired this problem?

With all Vermeer chippers 9" and up there have been numerous reports of cracks in and around the bearing support area. Have you inspected the welds on the side of the blade drum as well?

Since its an indication of extreme punishment the price should be rock bottom to consider it. OEM Vermeer parts are pricey.

On my BC1000XL, with a single feed wheel, there is no need to check underneath.

Back