vermeer bc 900 trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui

Reaction score
i just bought a 2014 vermeer bc 900 xl, only 100 hous on it. i have done 5 jobs with it, it ran great. i have been lubing it before each use. i started it today to do a job, and when i got the rpms up to begin feeding, the feed roller wouldnt operate and very soon the clutch started smoking, and i shut it down. after taking the anvil and belt housins off i find that the blade/anvil disc will not spin freely like it used to. the shaft off the engine does turn. it would seem like there is a bearing out on the disc shaft, but just maybe there is some message not being received that does not allow the disc to spin. the feeder never does operate at the high rpm. any ideas? i live on maui and we dont have a dealership here.

This machine is sold with a PTO or centrifugal clutch which do you have?

I don't have a service manual for your model but if it is designed like the larger Vermeer chippers the feed roller is hydraulically powered. The machine controller automatically stops and reverses the feed roller (briefly) when the engine rpms drop below a set value. The engine rpms must be above a programmed value before the feed roller will turn.

The feed roller and disk are not connected to each other, both should spin freely by hand. If not you may have some wood stuck between the feed roller and cutting mechanism.

If the clutch is smoking something is stuck, bearings should not be a problem with a low hour machine like this.

This machine is sold with a PTO or centrifugal clutch which do you have?

I don't have a service manual for your model but if it is designed like the larger Vermeer chippers the feed roller is pneumatically powered. The machine controller automatically stops and reverses the feed roller (briefly) when the engine rpms drop below a set value.

The feed roller and disk are not connected to each other, both should spin freely by hand. If they do not you may have some wood stuck between the feed roller and cutting mechanism.

If the clutch is smoking something is stuck, bearings should not be a problem with a new machine like this.

thanks so much for your reply ... i did take the inspection cover off the feeder, and found a twig stuck between disc and housing... took some doing but got it out, now runs fine. i think it stuck cuz i ran a few sticks thru after turning engine off and rpms going down.... lesson learned.

thanks so much for your reply ... i did take the inspection cover off the feeder, and found a twig stuck between disc and housing... took some doing but got it out, now runs fine. i think it stuck cuz i ran a few sticks thru after turning engine off and rpms going down.... lesson learned.

Great!
Since there are no dealers nearby I suggest that you purchase a service and parts manual for your model. You can register your chipper with Vermeer on their website. Some manuals will be provided free of charge, even with a used chipper.

Back