Vermeer bc1000 bellhousing sensor broken

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoctor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Magnetic rpm sensor stopped working...... while attempting to replace sensor was original to machine.... it was stuck not hand turnable.... now end broken off.... really don't want to replace bell housing.... any ideas can machine be wired to cut this sensor out?

no way to by pass the rpm sensor.
easy fix to remove it!
have you tried to warm up the housing first?? there is lock tite on those threads!!
drill out the core and use a chisel to collapse the threaded outside brass to the inside.
or seek out the help from a machine shop guy...
too bad you were not closer!!
lol!!
and when you put in the new sensor use copper never seize on it..
and blue lock tite on the nut threads.
make sure you align a gear tooth to the exact center of the hole.
then follow the instructions on setting the air gap.

no way to by pass the rpm sensor.
easy fix to remove it!
have you tried to warm up the housing first?? there is lock tite on those threads!!
drill out the core and use a chisel to collapse the threaded outside brass to the inside.
or seek out the help from a machine shop guy...
too bad you were not closer!!
lol!!
and when you put in the new sensor use copper never seize on it..
and blue lock tite on the nut threads.
make sure you align a gear tooth to the exact center of the hole.
then follow the instructions on setting the air gap.
It appears old sensor is not brass but rather a cast soft metal. Tried heat ironically made it worse I did contemplate drilling as last resort with risk of ruining bell housing...... housing 2k from vermeer..... don't want to pull motor... have spun sensor maybe 10 turns before end snapped I am sy point of no return lol I think. I am on Cape cod asking for machine shop people look at you with funny face....

Magnetic rpm sensor stopped working...... while attempting to replace sensor was original to machine.... it was stuck not hand turnable.... now end broken off.... really don't want to replace bell housing.... any ideas can machine be wired to cut this sensor out?
You can operate without the magnetic pickup but autofeed will not work.

How do I bypass?
See below but be aware that some of the safety features will be disabled.

Remove the top cover over the feed shoot. Locate the tan wire to the feed switch (middle switch) and feed 12V to it. Run a separate wire from the battery, but be certain to fuse it in case its ever pinched.

With this bypass the info light over the feed table (older machines don't have this) will always blink. The green side buttons will no longer work and the safety bar at the feed table will stop the feed roller, but it will restart when released.

I know this because my chipper autofeed was bypassed by the previous owner as explained above. Took awhile to diagnose what was done to get the autofeed functioning.

thank you all for the assistance and especialy the vermeer northeast crew. If this ever happens to anyone here is the solution.
Bought irwin 3/4 bolt extractor hammered onto stripped magnetic rod used a breaker bar
retapped the threads they are metric m22 fine thread 1.5
cleaned and reinsrted and tightened the lock nut 1 1/4 size crescent wrench
thank god that came out next up was a case of beer and a road flare...

thank you all for the assistance and especialy the vermeer northeast crew. If this ever happens to anyone here is the solution.
Bought irwin 3/4 bolt extractor hammered onto stripped magnetic rod used a breaker bar
retapped the threads they are metric m22 fine thread 1.5
cleaned and reinsrted and tightened the lock nut 1 1/4 size crescent wrench
thank god that came out next up was a case of beer and a road flare...
I experienced the same while trying to replace the BC1000XL drum bearings. The head snapped off one of the 4 bolts, no amount of heat or penetrating fluid would free it up.
I was afraid the extractor would break so I drilled it out to the proper tap size and retapped for the new bolt.
PITA is an understatement.

humm
why did it swell up?
the only thing I can think of some one ran the sensor in too far and it caught on the ring gear..
that happened on a little machine here..
the owner op did not know how to set it right..
and smashed the tip in the valley of the ring gear..
I have pix some where..
it just makes a mess out of every thing on the pickup's tip end...
flare it out too bad.
I got lucky on the small machine and was able to spin it out..
larger machines have larger teeth so more damage..

be sure to set the air gap with machine off, and with a tooth in the perfect center of the hole.
hold the sensor perfect still and tighten the nut. and a drop of blue loc tite in the threads will hold it from moving on its own.
yup pita job... but worth the time to do it right!!

It appears old sensor is not brass but rather a cast soft metal. Tried heat ironically made it worse I did contemplate drilling as last resort with risk of ruining bell housing...... housing 2k from vermeer..... don't want to pull motor... have spun sensor maybe 10 turns before end snapped I am sy point of no return lol I think. I am on Cape cod asking for machine shop people look at you with funny face....

I see you got it sorted out. In case you need work done in the future, Turn Wright Machine... Keith Fenner is in West Dennis, MA.
https://turnwrightmachineworks.com/contact-us/

Back