Vermeer sc252 question about cutting wheel turning off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daylen lathers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there I have an 04 sc252. Great machine and runs perfect. I have noticed lately once in awhile the grinding wheel will randomly just shut off. Even if I'm not really taking much of a bite. You actually almost dont even know it turned off until you look at the wheel. Then I just have to simply lower rpms and turn the switch off and then back on. It will then start spinning again and back to grinding. It doesnt happen often but it happens once in awhile. Just wondering what this may be in case it decides to turn off and not turn back on at all. I was thinking my on/off switch is on it's way out. Thanks !

Hi there Daylen. First I want to say I’m no equipment mechanic. I’m very mechanically inclined, was an auto tech for years, and an automation technician at a medical manufacturing facility for 10 years where I now run the night shift. I do not think the switch is your problem, however, my 252 may be different than yours, it’s a 2012. And I’m new to the stump grinding game in general. Anyway. If ours are the same here is why it’s not the switch:

I have the saftey control where if you let go of the operating levers the wheel shuts itself off. The on/off switch is only a “momentary switch”. Meaning it is only used initially to turn it on momentarily, and when pushed down momentarily again to shut the wheel off. Otherwise it’s in a neutral position so to speak doing nothing.

Unless you have a literal on/off switch I might be getting out a meter and looking at the coil that holds the clutch in the “on position” or the clutch itself if you think it’s a mechanical thing.

Again once new to the stump grinding game. But I’m good at figuring out how things work. And we have the same machine even if different generations due to a gap of years. I’m just thinking what I’d be chasing first if mine did that. Hope all this helps some.

Bruce
“Uncle Roots”

I will look into the wiring and coil going to the clutch. Maybe its possibly rubbing on metal or grounding out. The switch I use directly turns the wheel on and off.

Sounds like maybe you do have a literal on off switch after all. Have a meter to check the switch with?

Even a cheap one from Rockies or something will work. Not to hard to use. I’m sure you tube could guide you there if your not familiar with a multi meter.

Literal on off switch should just have two posts on the back with wires to it. Mine has three posts with wires on them, different setup I guess.

Yes it's two wires to the switch. I replaced it once about 40 hours ago I wouldn't think that's the issue again but I guess it's a possibility. Before it just shut off and wouldn't turn back on until I put the new switch on. Now this issue im having is very random and not frequent. When it does happen i simply turn the switch off and back on and I'm backing grinding. Very odd.

Sorry I wasn’t more help. Thought our machines would be more similar. I’m guessing you don’t have the operator presence system.

Lucky you. One of my levers with the conductive plastic that senses your presences on it is worn. Don’t wanna know what that is gonna cost. Just spent $250 on belt tension block(bracket and two bolts), belt tension gauges(spring loaded gauge), and the transport block(square tube with angle cut and a hole in it), all missing from my machine when I purchased it used.

Just hope nothin major breaks. Lol. I hear they are good machines, I picked this model in particular for a number of reasons.

Let me know how you make out. If you have to take the clutch out take a couple pictures for me if you would. I’ll do the same if I remove mine, wich I may do at some point. Looks like that may the only way to change the two belts between the motor and top shaft on mine. Not sure, I need to take the covers off and have another look.

Good luck to you!

I have no complaints about the machine. It has the 27 hp kohler. I do it as a part time job so I dont mind spending a little bit more time grinding a stump as to someone with a nice diesel machine. I may upgrade in the future but I am happy and comfortable at this point. Affordable, dependable, and bottom line it does get the job done. My biggest time saver and least amount abuse on the machine was doing the green teeth upgrade and keeping the greenteeth sharp and/or turning the teeth for a new edge.

Thanks for the tip. Green teeth in the garage here. Just gotta make the time.

Latest posts

Back