Vermeer SC252 Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Don

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi to Everyone,
This is my first post so please, no laughing out loud. I am looking for any info on my used sc252 stump grinder I just bought. I know the teeth need to be replaced, but am wondering if they could be resharpend, and if so, how it's done.
What is the going rate for stup grinding. I live near Green Bay WI., and I'm sure rates very in different area's. I would like to know the proper way to grind a stump, like how deep, how wide past the stump it's self and any other info anyone can give will be greatfully excepted.
Thanks in advance for reply's
Don

Hi to Everyone,
This is my first post so please, no laughing out loud. I am looking for any info on my used sc252 stump grinder I just bought. I know the teeth need to be replaced, but am wondering if they could be resharpend, and if so, how it's done.
What is the going rate for stup grinding. I live near Green Bay WI., and I'm sure rates very in different area's. I would like to know the proper way to grind a stump, like how deep, how wide past the stump it's self and any other info anyone can give will be greatfully excepted.
Thanks in advance for reply's
Don

Right, like I am going to tell you all my tricks.

Ummm the machine is pretty self explanatory in its operation , that you'll have to figure out but depth depends on your purpose , most of the time 8 inches is enough but often you need to go as deep as the machine allows and with that machine maybe 18inches is your max. As far as the maintenance of teeth and such that will depend on the usage generally a rounded tooth is shot , obviously a broken tooth is shot as well , as for your price $9 an inch seems to make some money , GOOD LUCK

So you bought a machine and now need to learn to use it and maintain it and make a profit from it. Very interesting. I wonder if I bought a small plane and went to a pilots site and ask how to fly it if I would learn?
Jeff ;)

Diameter vs square inch

If you charge by the diameter inch you will loose on big stumps, though this seems to be the standard.
I charge by the square inch so I get paid for all the work I do equally.
A 4 foot diameter stump is actually 4 times the size of a 2 foot diameter stump.
This augument always gets things going as most seem to charge by the diameter not the square inches.

I am usually all for helping a new guy out ,but I agree woith TC101,If you have to ask what to charge for stumpgrinding,you've
put the cart before the horse buying a grinder.

If you charge by the diameter inch you will loose on big stumps, though this seems to be the standard.
I charge by the square inch so I get paid for all the work I do equally.
A 4 foot diameter stump is actually 4 times the size of a 2 foot diameter stump.
This augument always gets things going as most seem to charge by the diameter not the square inches.

That is because diameter is easier to figure out for most.

You guys charge by the inch??? Weird and Wild....

I just weigh it all when I'm done and charge by the pound...that way I get paid for dirt, rock, and stump density.

You guys charge by the inch??? Weird and Wild....

I just weigh it all when I'm done and charge by the pound...that way I get paid for dirt, rock, and stump density.

Another good method I've found is to drive the machine up on top of the stump and grind from the far side towards you. It's a HUGE time saver.

Actually blake kinda has a point for a little grinder working backward kinda helps the machine doesn't suck itself to far into the stump , with a big cutter it doesn't much matter how ya hit it..

Blakes method is one I have used when grinding stumps, the best cutting position on the 252 is the 4-6 oclock position !

Not that it saves time..that ive noticed, but it does help stop from being sucked into the stump when taking a big bite!

LXT.............

Wow. Guess I gotta work on my sarcasm. Never ran a small machine but I'll take your guys word on that.

Dear New Friends,

I bought this used stump grinder because it needed work, and so did I. You see, I retired after 25 years in a public safety position as a Police Officer, paramedic, and Fire fighter, so I do have a bit of formal education, and alot of mechanical experience. Then, on January 15 of this year my wife and I found out I have stage 4 cancer. We did a lot of thinking as one would expect after this news and decided I should spend my time living instead if dying. We started chemo treatmens, and try to go about our life one day at a time. The treatments are heading in the right direction, and we are now looking at a couple years perhaps, rather than 4-6 months. Thus, the stump grinder. I can use it to help me keep me busy while doing a service for others. I will do some for free, just because the people need it done, and are in a bad way money wise. I am not out to build a big business, I just want to do a good job for people, and put a few bucks in our pocket to take my wife out to dinner now and then. I thank most of you for your positive comment, and I hold no disrespect for those trying to be funny when they didn't know any better...
Just Don

Back