Vermeer SC252 Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the stump grinder for sale I could use one, The rental rates are not cheap.

I pay a woman to grind all of My stumps for now, I pay her Max $140 per job I dont care how many or how big. She's usually done in an hour to an hour and a half. But she has the rg50.

Is the stump grinder for sale I could use one, The rental rates are not cheap.

I pay a woman to grind all of My stumps for now, I pay her Max $140 per job I dont care how many or how big. She's usually done in an hour to an hour and a half. But she has the rg50.

Dude, do you even read before you post? It is not for sale, he wants it for him. You should go pay your woman stump grinder to teach you to read!
Sincerely,
Jeff :)

Well, after reading your second post I can relate to you with the diagnosis of cancer. I have experienced what it is like in my family. If you were not so far from me I would be glad to help and show you about stump grinding. Maybe you can find somebody near you that would be willing to help you. Do you have a Vermeer dealer near you? That would be a good place to start. Tell them your situation and they could hook you up with someone in the business. I was in public safety also for 30 yrs. retired fireman, worked 2 jobs all 30 yrs. I started my stump business several yrs. before I retired. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Sorry to hear of your situation. I have had similar experience although not to your extent. The very best to you. You are in my prayers.

I don't really look at stump guys as stealing my work. I make my work in hazardous trees. Not cutting firewood or grinding stumps.

I never really charge by the inch per say, Although I do take into consideration how large the stump is, where it is located, How difficult it is going to be to do and how much time it is going to take me. No two situations are the same. Make sure you have your bases covered if you are grinding next to underground lines or pipes or the like. Always create a barrier around windows, glass doors and other liabilities before you grind. A couple of good 4x8 pieces of plywood is a good investment for a stump man.

Prices will vary from location to location and amount of competition in the area.

There are a few longtime members here from Wisco. Maybe they can chime in with some help on pricing. I'd say your average stump goes from around $75 to $100 here though. You need to be getting over a hundred for anything over 3' and more like $200 if you are having to chase the roots out on a large stump. That's in an easy access area. Remember, your time is valuable and you are running a specialized piece of equipment. If the stump is hard to access or in an area with a lot of liability prices should reflect that.

Again, best of luck to you.

If your machine is being sucked in (never happened to me or anyone I know), you are doing it wrong.
Jeff :)

:dizzy: you`re doing it wrong!!!! I suppose you never heard the belts squeel or stalled the motor either uhh??...if none of these are a familiar scenario to you.....then you dont grind stumps very much!!!

LXT.............

The advice I'll offer is nothing you couldn't learn the 'hard' way in a few weeks of using your 'new' grinder. I'll save you the trouble.

1) If the machine still has the standard vermeer super teeth and haven't been switched over to greenteeth (round) or yellowjacket (two-sided), then you can resharpen them if they're not too rounded over already. If you can justify the expense, a $350 greenteeth setup is way more efficient and you get 3 sides to every tooth by just rotating them when dull.

2) Once you learn to grind using the autosweep feature, unplug it and learn to grind without it. It takes some learning to get a feel for the machine but you will grind stumps 3 times faster than the machine's computer can. Trust me, I used to swear by the autosweep feature - now, I swear at it.

3) The toughest grinding on a stump is at the root flare. The grinder has to grind the most surface area at this point because you're typically grinding on both the bottom and front of the wheel. Once you get down to the depth you want to grind (8" or so), you move forward an inch or two or three and start at the top of the stump and sweep to the side, then lower an inch or two or three (depends on stump species and teeth condition) and sweep back. Repeat until you're 8" deep, lift, drive ahead and repeat. If you're grinding a big stump that's wider than the grinder sweep, you will have to grind until chips fill up the containment area under the grinder, back up and reposition on the stump. I usually try to 'narrow out' the stump on one or more sides so that I can then approach it from just one direction to finish it up. So, I'll take a 50" stump and grind it to 20" wide x 50" then approach it from the long side to finish it up. If the containment area gets so full that chips are flying forward and piling up on the stump, you stop and shovel it out or move to the other side.

4) I price by the inch but I do so in a tiered fashion. Stumps under 30" diameter that I can typically grind in only 1 or maybe 2 setups on the stump are one price while stumps over 30" diameter that require several movements and maybe some shoveling are at a higher price per inch. The price per inch for each tier is going to be determined by your local market but, the average around here seems to be about $1.50 inch for <30" and $2-2.50 inch for bigger stumps. You can price cleanup and dirt fill based upon an hourly rate for doing such and the actual cost of dirt. You're just going to have to do a few stumps to find out how long grinding, cleanup and fill takes.

If I'm grinding hedges or shrubs, I often do it cheaper as those go very quickly. I always charge a site minimum to cover drive and unloading/loading time. And don't forget mileage if traveling a distance.

5) If grinding near vehicles, siding or windows, take a piece of 4x8 plywood and hinge it 50/50 or 25/50/25 to create a stand-up debris shield. Broken windows or chipped siding will cost more than you'll make on a stump. When possible try to clear landscape rocks away from stumps to prevent projectiles. Always charge a bit more when rocks, brick or other debris is present to cover damaged or dulled teeth.

6) Grease bearings often, change your teeth before they're completely dull and work safe around that cutter wheel.

Good luck.

Last edited:
:dizzy: you`re doing it wrong!!!! I suppose you never heard the belts squeel or stalled the motor either uhh??...if none of these are a familiar scenario to you.....then you dont grind stumps very much!!!

LXT.............

Only if you try to bite more than you can chew, which means you are doing it wrong,
Jeff

Dear Arbor Pro, and all others,

Thank you all so much for your constructive input. This is all good information to know. I'll keep learning more as I go, and in time, be where we hope to be. I know I'll never run with the big dogs, but I don't mind a few days a week on the porch. Thanks again for your prayers and input, and hope to converse again...
Just Don

Only if you try to bite more than you can chew, which means you are doing it wrong,
Jeff

Again....you must not grind to many stumps!!! Office worker are ya? anybody who has grinded is familiar with what is being discussed!! I would think you should worry more about changing the printer cartridge jeff!! leave the field work to those who know...its just not your bag!!!!

LXT.................

Don, if you do not have the dual wheels on your 252 you need to get them. If yours has them then only take them off to go through a gate and then put them back on. If you do not have the duals you will turn a 252 over. It is a mess with oil, hydraulic fluid and gas in a customers yard. Not to mention getting the machine upright. It is much easier to take outside wheels off and put back on.

Again....you must not grind to many stumps!!! Office worker are ya? anybody who has grinded is familiar with what is being discussed!! I would think you should worry more about changing the printer cartridge jeff!! leave the field work to those who know...its just not your bag!!!!

LXT.................

Wow! Man you are Mad about something, but dont take it out on me punk! I probably did more stumps than you took naps! You show your dumb- a s s reply without knowing who you are talking about. Is there an " itch " you cant reach and all pissed off at guys that know more than you? Grow up!
Jeff :D
Here buddy!

I rented one of these little grinders last year. What a joke.. either they had a governor or something on it, or it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen. I'm inclined to go with the later of the two..

Seemed like I would've had a hard time exfoliating the top of my foot, let alone grind a stump!

Don, if you do not have the dual wheels on your 252 you need to get them. If yours has them then only take them off to go through a gate and then put them back on. If you do not have the duals you will turn a 252 over. It is a mess with oil, hydraulic fluid and gas in a customers yard. Not to mention getting the machine upright. It is much easier to take outside wheels off and put back on.

Duals are like 'training wheels for newbies'. One you get some experience under your belt and understand the capabilities of a 252, the training wheels can come off.

I agree.

this is excellent advice and truer words have never been spoken.

Wow! Man you are Mad about something, but dont take it out on me punk! I probably did more stumps than you took naps! You show your dumb- a s s reply without knowing who you are talking about. Is there an " itch " you cant reach and all pissed off at guys that know more than you? Grow up!
Jeff :D
Here buddy!

LMFAO.......look ball nugget, you are an operations manager???yeah? you dont do a chads worth of dog droppings anymore!! Know who im talking about??? :dizzy: im talking to you Jeffry....! Im not worried about the itch I cant reach....Ill just hire a good little grunt like you too take care of that for me! So start itching round my taint old fella.

You come on & post at threads with nothing but negative dribble then when you get your sack roasted old man you wanna throw daggers back? your posts "SUCK" & when I see pics of your pathetic azz doing something worth a dam....then maybe you`ll get a lil thumbs up PAP!

Till then............keep thinking you know more armchair climber!! & listen to some one who knows....(that be just about all on site except for you) :jawdrop:

LXT.......

Thats a beautiful portrait of ya there Jeffry........doing nothing!! typical of a loud mouth!!

he looks pretty clean uhh guys?? new truck, little stubby middle finger to match his manhood & a mile of forehead!! :clap:

LXT...............

Thats a beautiful portrait of ya there Jeffry........doing nothing!! typical of a loud mouth!!

he looks pretty clean uhh guys?? new truck, little stubby middle finger to match his manhood & a mile of forehead!! :clap:

LXT...............

Well, he does have a nice forehead.

I must say I never expected to see where this has headed. I was hoping to learn from those of you with experiance, but instead I've created a name calling, insulting tread that is going nowhere fast. I am trully sorry. I was givin some positive imput from "Aim High", and I think I will head that direction...
Good luck to all, and take care.

Just Don

I must say I never expected to see where this has headed. I was hoping to learn from those of you with experiance, but instead I've created a name calling, insulting tread that is going nowhere fast. I am trully sorry. I was givin some positive imput from "Aim High", and I think I will head that direction...
Good luck to all, and take care.

Just Don

Don't go, Don!!! They really love me! I swear! Put your man suit on and hang a while.
Jeff:)

Back