Vermeer SC252 Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rented one of these little grinders last year. What a joke.. either they had a governor or something on it, or it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen. I'm inclined to go with the later of the two..

Seemed like I would've had a hard time exfoliating the top of my foot, let alone grind a stump!

They are just enough grinder to make you MAD. Kinda like running a D3 cat, it's just enough dozer to piss you off.

what do you think now, just Don

Food for thought:
I am a retired businessman looking at stump grinding as a part time business. I read most of the replies to you Don and found a few helpful and thought provoking... here is a littel more to consider.
The physical nature of the work does not put me off; however, before I buy any equipment I have consulted with a lawyer. The result is that I believe that a casual approach to this work is fool hardy. It is a violent process, and as noted in several replies, you need to think of certain minimal safety issues in operation; cocerning porperty and persons. This leads me to point out that you should consider adequate insurance (liability and bonding.) Doing an occasional favor for a friend is ok but the more you do for lesser "freinds" may find you on the wrong end of a law suit... I am not a lawyer, but as I recall, there can be a fine line between casual effort and professional work. I am now in the process for getting quotes for such insurance and considering some form of incorporation to protect myself legally.

I remember as a kid busting more than one window with a power mower.

WOW! I enjoyed most of this thread until the highjack occured, very informative, in more ways than one. I just started grinding (as a service) this March. Pricing can be tricky. As said before, there are no two jobs the same, (location, travel, size of stump, multiple stumps at a disscount?, etc.) I've learned alot just by doing, but safety is a must. When you give an estimate, access the location and surroundings, any utilitys. and insurance would be a good idea. Hope you enjoy it. Good luck Don.

WOW! I enjoyed most of this thread until the highjack occured, very informative, in more ways than one. I just started grinding (as a service) this March. Pricing can be tricky. As said before, there are no two jobs the same, (location, travel, size of stump, multiple stumps at a disscount?, etc.) I've learned alot just by doing, but safety is a must. When you give an estimate, access the location and surroundings, any utilitys. and insurance would be a good idea. Hope you enjoy it. Good luck Don.

I agree. I have been reading all I can while looking for my first machine. Already found my insurance company and rates, but still getting passed around the county to find out what license if any is needed here. I just get passed back and forth :dizzy:

Hope to find out if I can get enough work to keep a profit and pay insurance, will not risk what we have earned over a part-time subing job. Plan on taking 25-50% of payment as pay and remainder for operating cost (maintenance of machine, truck, trailer, gas, insurance, ect) Also seems what some people want for equipment really varies in different regions. Seems like all local sales want 25% more :confused:

Think if I go forward, I will need to also find a good accountant to find out what would be best for my little start-up (write-offs, doing a dba or llc, ect)

thanks all for your feedback to those of us starting off (or thinking about it :cheers: )

Wow! Man you are Mad about something, but dont take it out on me punk! I probably did more stumps than you took naps! You show your dumb- a s s reply without knowing who you are talking about. Is there an " itch " you cant reach and all pissed off at guys that know more than you? Grow up!
Jeff :D
Here buddy!

Thank god you were standing in the shade, I am surely not ready for that gleam off that dome ..... Are you short , or is your truck lifted , must be hard to wash the windows ....lol

Dear New Friends,

I bought this used stump grinder because it needed work, and so did I. You see, I retired after 25 years in a public safety position as a Police Officer, paramedic, and Fire fighter, so I do have a bit of formal education, and alot of mechanical experience. Then, on January 15 of this year my wife and I found out I have stage 4 cancer. We did a lot of thinking as one would expect after this news and decided I should spend my time living instead if dying. We started chemo treatmens, and try to go about our life one day at a time. The treatments are heading in the right direction, and we are now looking at a couple years perhaps, rather than 4-6 months. Thus, the stump grinder. I can use it to help me keep me busy while doing a service for others. I will do some for free, just because the people need it done, and are in a bad way money wise. I am not out to build a big business, I just want to do a good job for people, and put a few bucks in our pocket to take my wife out to dinner now and then. I thank most of you for your positive comment, and I hold no disrespect for those trying to be funny when they didn't know any better...
Just Don

Yup, with friends like us you surely don't need enemies. Keep on rocking dude, #### em!

Last edited:
Sprinkler Pipes

How do you handle sprinkler pipes that get broken during stump grinding? Do you fix them yourself, pay someone to fix them, or what?

How do you handle sprinkler pipes that get broken during stump grinding? Do you fix them yourself, pay someone to fix them, or what?

Fixem yourself. In San Diego, the crews carried a Irrigation kit on the trucks, just in case. I wasn't used to this, risers in the bushes, so I busted a few for them! A irrigation tech bills out at like 125 a hour.

I havn't hit any, yet. I guess it would depend on how big the pipe was. I do have experience with inground waterlines from working in a State park for 30 yrs.
Did the client tell you there were waterlines close? If not, they would at least pay for parts and maybe some labor if I fixed it. Do you have insurance?

I have only had the sprinkler system issue once so far and it was last week. I told the client that the sprinkler was directly under the small tree/shrub so when it got cut out and the stump ground the sprinkler WAS going to be destroyed. No maybe...it was going to be destroyed. She said it was okay - she would have her landscaper take care of it. I even offered to dig it up and try to remove it beforehand and she said nope - she had an appointment and didn't have time for all of that. Sooooo....I had her sign one of my handy liability waivers that stated she knew there would be damage.

And the best investment I have made so far (besides the liability waivers) as additional equipment has been 2 sheets of plywood. I cut them in half and put handles on one side. They cover windows even when there is little chance of debris flying that way. I'm not one to work for free...or worse yet to do a $200 job just to replace a $1,000 custom window. ALWAYS cover yer butt!!!!

I like the waiver idea, Shooter. You don't use it for every job, do you? Just if you know there is a chance of damage?

Shooter, I like the waiver idea too - where can I get a copy or a template of the liability waiver? Thanks

Back