ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Very difficult to get potholes repaired for some reason

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by PA. Woodsman, Feb 8, 2019.

1. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

Here in PA. we see things a lot that say "motorists encouraged to report potholes" and they have 1-800 numbers and online reports and all yet when we report them most times it takes months to get them taken care of and all we get when we call them about it are lies and excuses and so on. Now I'm talking about PENNDOT , Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, for the state roads; when we call local cities and boroughs they seem to respond to them much quicker, usually, but Penndot for some reason doesn't. I just got off the phone with them again as we had called one real bad big section of road that has sunken in and needs repair, got a message 2.5 weeks ago on a Wednesday telling us they were going to send a crew out there that day and the next if necessary, nothing was done, we had a cold snap and snow so we waited, called again when we had a mild spell, got nothing so we pestered them again this morning and the guy that left us the message 2.5 weeks ago said he'd send a crew out there today to look at it, yeah, sure, we'll see. I told him where it was again which he already should've known, told him it's a gulley more than a pothole that you cannot avoid anymore and when I reminded him about his message 2.5 weeks ago he just said excuses, "we had that cold snap, we're busy etc." and that is true but we didn't have it those 2 days that he said someone was going out there to do it so we are playing the game again. Last year we waited 3 months for some bad ones to be fixed, we realize that they are busy and the roads are bad but come on, when we call and leave messages for the city of Allentown where we work about problem areas they are usually fixed in a few days, sometimes even the same day! But these guys for whatever reason just play games, I don't understand why.

Very frustrating....

Duce, SeMoTony and lone wolf like this.
  2. hanniedog

hanniedog Addicted to ArboristSite

Maybe you need to send 27 8x10 photographs with circles and arrows pointing out said pothole.

yooper, farmer steve, Duce and 4 others like this.
  3. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

Careful, you'll end up on the Group W bench!

farmer steve, Duce, WRW and 2 others like this.
  4. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Same here where is all the tax money going?

farmer steve, Duce and PA. Woodsman like this.
  5. grizz55chev

grizz55chev Tree Freak

Alice’s Restaurant?

6. Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks ArboristSite Operative

I've always thought a decent app on smartphones would capture the worst potholes in terms of cars hitting it per day, then that data would drive the repair schedules.

On a related note, the city recently repaved the worst of the worst part of my commute- the road I travel to leave my house 99% of the time. It was wasted and at first they just spray painted the white rectangles around the fractured zones. I couldn't believe they'd just repair 70% of the road and not repave. I was pleasantly surprised when they ground the whole thing and paved it over.

7. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Seriously? The gub'ment doesn't work properly and you can't understand it?!?

It's the gub'ment! It almost never works properly. And it's your fault, too. And Trump's. And Bush. :dumb:

SeMoTony and PA. Woodsman like this.
  8. hanniedog

hanniedog Addicted to ArboristSite

Thing that amazes me most is when they pave a section of road then they next year they tear it up to do sewer work.

9. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

Va. seems to be like PA. I do think that overall, the roads in PA. are better, but I don't get up that way often.

10. PA. Woodsman

Supposed to be some of the worst in the country according to some polls, that was a few years ago and I haven't seen much change since then!

Duce, Big Red Oaks 4 me and SeMoTony like this.
  11. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Next time you call, ask the guy for his name and his supervisor's name.

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  12. PA. Woodsman

Oh I have his name, he leaves it on my answering machine when he calls to lie about when they are going to come out lol! I talked to him yesterday...and I also found the page where you can file what they call a "concern" online and did that too, the way he was talking was like they didn't "understand" where this was because it was told verbally, this way it is in print. I also feel like going over there during the night so I don't get killed as it is a busy road and spray painting "fix me" on it but I'm sure that would not lead to good places for me!

Duce likes this.
  13. Duce

Duce Addicted to ArboristSite

Come to Michigan! Potholes here either swallow your car, break ball joints, bend A-arms, bend or crack rims and I am not kidding! Governor Grethen Whitmer campaigned on "Just fix the Damn Roads". Nothing done yet, but it's winter, we will see.

yooper, farmer steve and PA. Woodsman like this.
  14. B Brown

B Brown ArboristSite Member

Seriously , get some florescent bright pink marking paint, paint a big circle around it, eventually it'll get fixed. Keep at it, and as long as its noticeable and marked like that, it'll bring attention to that area, they will fix it. But, you do understand there is more to to highway/road maintenance than fixing a pot hole? Normally, pot holes are not a priority this time of the year unless they are really big ones.

farmer steve, PA. Woodsman and Duce like this.
  15. PA. Woodsman

Yes we understand that for sure. But what gets us is the local cities and boroughs fill them in in reasonable time, why can't they? And this is a huge area, just drove over it a bit ago, just a big rough spot that has to be repaired as it's just getting worse.

And when they tell you that they are sending a crew out that day and will fix the holes if it takes them into the next day and nothing is done well :wtf: :angry: :mad:

16. kspakland

kspakland Addicted to ArboristSite

Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
    Go ahead and complain about your potholes .......AT LEAST YOU HAVE PAVED ROADS !!!!!!!!!!!
    Try living with THIS after any kind of a storm, winter or summer. 0602-111315.jpg

17. PA. Woodsman

At least it's soft! :D

farmer steve likes this.
  18. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

i agree with @PA. Woodsman on the lack of attention we get on the roads here. our HMFIC raised our fuel tax (now the highest in the nation) to fix roads. :angry:

Oldmaple and PA. Woodsman like this.
  19. kspakland

kspakland Addicted to ArboristSite

Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
    It may be soft, but when a wheel drops into a deep hole filled with water and you have no clue how deep it is, your head WILL hit the roof of the truck.

20. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

Funny thing: when I called the guy that picked up the phone said "Uncle Stache's Pothole Fixin' , may I help you?"

We have a pothole "hotline" & one can make a claim with the city/county if damage occurs.
    But I read in the paper not too long ago that all of last year only a couple grand was doled out.
    I just try to weave around all the really big holes....not my FIL though, he plows right through then complains about the cars suspension :laughing: