very interested but new

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranchjn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey i am new and want to learn a little bit more about rec tree climbing. What gear do i need to do it? Is a class absolutely required, or is it something that i can teach myself safely. There are tons of trees around that i would like to climb up, some over 200 feet! I am also very interested in purchasing a tent to set up in the trees so i can cherish the views. I looked at some TreeBoats, but i am wondering if there are other tents out there which are better than the TreeBoat hammocks. Anyways, i hope someone can teach me a little bit more about rec tree climbing and explain to me the equipment required while i do more research and become more educated on the matter :) thanks in advance!

ranchjn said:
I am also very interested in purchasing a tent to set up in the trees so i can cherish the views. I looked at some TreeBoats, but i am wondering if there are other tents out there which are better than the TreeBoat hammocks.

Check out the Fish Econoledge. Made for rock walls but excellent in trees.

Hard to say whether you can learn safely on your own. Certainly it's doable but takes diligence, passion, curiosity in all aspects, and a lot of common sense. I am self taught and always learning. Be careful because it's a little frightening looking back. Read the Jepson book and understand every word. The book is very well conceived and edited with no fluff. Lots of other good books too. Look through the Sherrill, Wesspur, Fresco catalogs to learn about all the gear. Hope that helps.

Edit: Neil Young is awsome. Kinda like his ranch, too.

Sherrill has a new recreational tree climbing catalog that is awesome. The Jepson book is titled Tree Climber's Companion and it's also awesome.

I agree that the hammocks look okay for maybe a nap, but I'd like to eventually get a platform for overnight sleeping.

Chuck R said:
Edit: Neil Young is awsome. Kinda like his ranch, too.

we are his next door neighbor! We own 400 acres right above him. glad you like the area, its so beautiful with all the redwood trees and the views of the pacific ocean!

thanks a lot for the info, guess i should get a catalog!

ranchjn said:
Hey i am new and want to learn a little bit more about rec tree climbing. What gear do i need to do it? Is a class absolutely required, or is it something that i can teach myself safely.

In addition to arborist suppliers check out New Tribe's DRT starter kit. Their equipment orginally evolved around rec climbing west coast conifers. The New Tribe (Ness) saddle is the most comfortable on the planet. Climbing conifers you will have lots of hang time, comfort pays off. Jepson's is a must. Also **** Flowers Rec climbing book is good.

Test everything low and slow. Learn to descend properly before ascending over 10 feet. The learning curve is slow by yourself, try and locate a competent climber in your area. If you can take a course you will not regret it. Tree assessment and selection, climbing safety protocol, equipment selection, rope placement techniques etc. are all covered.
-moss

you can teach yourself anything, but you have to realize that it will be slower and more difficult. i taught myself out of books for over a year before ever seeing another person tree climb. in other words, dont put off climbing until you find someone to teach you. just climb as much as you feel comfortable by yourself (familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals) while also looking for a person to climb with (at which point you will learn more technical aspects).

also, like you, when i first got into climbing it was so that i could get up into the 200ft+ old growth conifers here in oregon, but i quickly realized that its easier said than done. it takes a lot of technical experience to climb such big trees, so take is slow and low by climbing some smaller trees (like maybe some second growth with beefy limbs lower to the ground).

Sizzle-Chest said:
you can teach yourself anything, but you have to realize that it will be slower and more difficult. i taught myself out of books for over a year before ever seeing another person tree climb. in other words, dont put off climbing until you find someone to teach you. just climb as much as you feel comfortable by yourself (familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals) while also looking for a person to climb with (at which point you will learn more technical aspects).

also, like you, when i first got into climbing it was so that i could get up into the 200ft+ old growth conifers here in oregon, but i quickly realized that its easier said than done. it takes a lot of technical experience to climb such big trees, so take is slow and low by climbing some smaller trees (like maybe some second growth with beefy limbs lower to the ground).

exactly... i am not looking to kill myself so of course i will start with the smaller stuff first.

Sizzle-Chest said:
... when i first got into climbing it was so that i could get up into the 200ft+ old growth conifers here in oregon

Sizzle - have you worked your way up to the 200+ footers? Do you know where there are some that can be accessed by recreational climbers?

We've got a few loblollies down here in the 150 foot class, but I'ld love to look down from a 200 footer. I have a sister in Portland that I visit once every couple of years, can you recomend a place to climb if I come up?

Fireaxman said:
Sizzle - have you worked your way up to the 200+ footers? Do you know where there are some that can be accessed by recreational climbers?

We've got a few loblollies down here in the 150 foot class, but I'ld love to look down from a 200 footer. I have a sister in Portland that I visit once every couple of years, can you recomend a place to climb if I come up?

fireaxe, just saw this, sorry didnt respond sooner, i cant say that i've climbed any of those gargantuan firs round here . . . yet. Several things stand in my way, mainly that its hard to find someone else that wants to climb trees like that and its not such a smooth thing to do alone.

However, i did find some choice firs up near a lava flow on the McKenzie river just before the snow hit. Its pretty well snowed in for the year but I plan to go back, I'll take pictures. And i hear that Opal Creek near salem and some of the siskiyou national forest down by Grants Pass (where new tribe is located) has good climbing.

But, if your ever in Portland, Tillamook is a short drive west and its got some really good old growth spruce which i plan to climb over spring break. those trees are amazing (more than douglas fir IMO). They grow like giant tubes out of the ground and often have beafy and interesting growth patterns. Plus, spruce only grows close to the ocean so you could probly find on that has a good view. Sorry, im ranting . . . im just exited about climbing over the break!!!

Been to Tilamook, on the way to my sister's beach house a little South of Rockaway. Beautyful country. Did not think to look for trees, had our minds set on the beach. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be more observant next time. Hope you can share some pictures with us after Spring Break.

Last edited:
Back