Very particular about my firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
I am what you could call a anal person when it comes to firewood.
It has to be stacked just so, the chips cleaned up, rounds stacked.
Ect, ect, ect...
Friends and Family that come over, are amazed that I am so organized.
To them it is just wood, but to me it is alot more than just wood, it is my hobby and the only way I heat my house.

Me too

some of best training I ever received:

If it moves: salute it
If it does not move: police it up
If it is too heavy: paint it

The road ways and walkways thru my woods to the firewood cutting areas are all outlined with rocks painted white

Chips...

"... the chips cleaned up ..."

May I ask what you do with all of them? I have about 100 bushels of wood chips and wood shrapnel lying around the splitter and all of them would like to know their future. My back hurts just thinking about how to get them into a wheelbarrow.
:dizzy:

Me too

some of best training I ever received:

If it moves: salute it
If it does not move: police it up
If it is too heavy: paint it

The road ways and walkways thru my woods to the firewood cutting areas are all outlined with rocks painted white

ok... can you say that again in english ?:dizzy:

ok... can you say that again in english ?:dizzy:

rlee_ermey.jpg

What don't you understand, maggot?!!

:laugh:

May I ask what you do with all of them? I have about 100 bushels of wood chips and wood shrapnel lying around the splitter and all of them would like to know their future. My back hurts just thinking about how to get them into a wheelbarrow.

I burn mine. I live out a ways (not in City Limits)
I called the county for a burn permit, they said call the city, I called the city they said call the county.

So I burn whenever I need to.
You are right about the wood shrapnel!!
I made a burner out of a 55 Gallon Drum with alot of .45 LongColt holes in it for air.
If I burn at night the drum glows.

I burn mine. I live out a ways (not in City Limits)
I called the county for a burn permit, they said call the city, I called the city they said call the county.

So I burn whenever I need to. You are right about the wood shrapnel!!
I made a burner out of a 55 Gallon Drum with alot of .45 Long Colt holes in it for air. If I burn at night the drum glows.
Well, I thought about stuffing the chunks into big plastic trash bags and saving it for kindling. However, some of the larger pieces tear apart the bags as you load them and nowadays the ants and other bugs are everywhere. You may have the right idea--old trash barrels with vent holes in the bottom for drainage might work.

Then again, I may just wait until it cools off and throw them into my campfire pit. Regardless, I still have to collect it all. That's the price of progress at the splitter.

I am what you could call a anal person when it comes to firewood.
It has to be stacked just so, the chips cleaned up, rounds stacked.
Ect, ect, ect...
Friends and Family that come over, are amazed that I am so organized.
To them it is just wood, but to me it is alot more than just wood, it is my hobby and the only way I heat my house.

Do you measure each piece that you cut? My father in law does that. Drives me nuts.6"-22", it all burns the same..If it fits in the stove, stack it!!!

Do you measure each piece that you cut? My father in law does that. Drives me nuts.6"-22", it all burns the same..If it fits in the stove, stack it!!!
Hmmm... Even the stove manufacturers recommend that you try to cut all your logs about the same length to fiit the stove. Something about optimal heat efficiency and obtaining the stove's rated heat output.

Your father-in-law sounds like he knows what he is doing. I generally use the saw's bar length as a guide as I buck logs--crude but effective.

Hmmm... Even the stove manufacturers recommend that you try to cut all your logs about the same length to fiit the stove. Something about optimal heat efficiency and obtaining the stove's rated heat output.

Your father-in-law sounds like he knows what he is doing. I generally use the saw's bar length as a guide as I buck logs--crude but effective.

Another one.. It`s way to slow to use your bar to measure.You shouldn`t have measure.You should be able to guess.It`not that important.So any short pieces that don`t come out to your measured size don`t get burned in your stove?

Another one.. It`s way to slow to use your bar to measure.You shouldn`t have measure.You should be able to guess.It`not that important.So any short pieces that don`t come out to your measured size don`t get burned in your stove?

some people just have O.C.D :D
i totally guesstimate all my firewood, and it comes out within a few inches of each other
sometimes i sell firewood which i did not personally buck to length , free wood scores, powerline clearing etc.. and i have to say i am amazed at how bad some people are at estimating each piece
i scored 2 cords of red oak last week from a powerline clearing, the pieces were already bucked, which was great, but unfortunately they were anywhere from 8" long to 2'+ long... i ended up with a pile of 4" long cookies from trimming half of the pieces shorter. they still saved me a lot of cutting so whatever.. i just split the cookies in half now, and throw em in the pile, its firewood, it gets burned

some people just have O.C.D :D
i totally guesstimate all my firewood, and it comes out within a few inches of each other
sometimes i sell firewood which i did not personally buck to length , free wood scores, powerline clearing etc.. and i have to say i am amazed at how bad some people are at estimating each piece
i scored 2 cords of red oak last week from a powerline clearing, the pieces were already bucked, which was great, but unfortunately they were anywhere from 8" long to 2'+ long... i ended up with a pile of 4" long cookies from trimming half of the pieces shorter. they still saved me a lot of cutting so whatever.. i just split the cookies in half now, and throw em in the pile, its firewood, it gets burned

I agree, some people just have too much time on their hands.When i cut firewood from my property, I just drop the whole tree and start cuttin,I take stuff down to 2".When you drop a big oak and the branches are above your head, you start from the small end and work your way back.Of course I like my wood to be close, but I certainly don`t measure it.I guess if I had a logtruck load in my driveway and it was all nice and neat, I might measure(NOT!).Just seems anal.Sorry guys, I don`t care how many miles per gallon my truck gets either.Just not the engineer type, I guess.

We used to have a part of the yard at a grade we leveled off. Lots of barrow trips, but the biomass is gone and serving a purpose.

I've since moved the splitting operation out back close to the garden. The chips, etc. make great mulch. Help retain moisture and keep the woods down. Only about 20' from splitstump to garden.

I measure the bigger logs, it seems to me that the bigger the log the shorter I cut the blocks???

I usually just eyeball the cuts and it comes out ok.
I have a stack were I keep the perfect wood.
I have a pile where I put the unstackable wood and that gets burned first.

Back