Very particular about my firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our fireplace takes anything up to 18 inches long and 5.5 inches thick. Anything smaller than 2 in Diam. or 4 inches long just means more trips to the garage or outside for more wood supply which is painful in the back. So, yes we measure all the wood WE cut and split to optimum size. The smaller size chunks also tend to make the piles unstable.

Now for the paid for firewood it is great but the wood sellers around our parts are blind in one eye and do not have depth or any perception of length it seems. We have gotten delivered wood anywhere from 8 inches to 28 inches even with nails. The pieces are also split down to 1"x 2" in size Oak, What a waste of hunk of great wood.

The free wood we get from tree trimmers also blind in one eye as they cut at anywhere from 20-30 inches leaving us a very small piece to cut off for the 16 inches we need. Worse yet they cut the log at a 45 degree angle so we end up with a parallelogram!

It may take us longer to measure a tree before cutting it but at least I know I will get optimum use out of it. Besides I do not move fast enough and the tape measure withdraws into the holder long before I am ready to cut after trimming the small stuff out.

Our fireplace takes anything up to 18 inches long and 5.5 inches thick. Anything smaller than 2 in Diam. or 4 inches long just means more trips to the garage or outside for more wood supply which is painful in the back. So, yes we measure all the wood WE cut and split to optimum size. The smaller size chunks also tend to make the piles unstable.

Now for the paid for firewood it is great but the wood sellers around our parts are blind in one eye and do not have depth or any perception of length it seems. We have gotten delivered wood anywhere from 8 inches to 28 inches even with nails. The pieces are also split down to 1"x 2" in size Oak, What a waste of hunk of great wood.

The free wood we get from tree trimmers also blind in one eye as they cut at anywhere from 20-30 inches leaving us a very small piece to cut off for the 16 inches we need. Worse yet they cut the log at a 45 degree angle so we end up with a parallelogram!

It may take us longer to measure a tree before cutting it but at least I know I will get optimum use out of it. Besides I do not move fast enough and the tape measure withdraws into the holder long before I am ready to cut after trimming the small stuff out.

Lol I suggest you try piecing down a large oak over a roof and see if you care about the size or slope of cuts. I do firewood and cut trees but the safety of my customers roofs are way more important than size of wood.

A lot of post about nothing.
You measure your cuts..good for you.
You don't measure your cuts ..good for you.

I take my own path...and always will.

I drink Bud from 12oz. Tall Boy bottles.
Each bottle is exactly 9'' tall.
My stove coincidentally takes 18'' logs
I just picture the 2 Buds I'm going to have tonight and I'm off and cutting like a Mother XXXXXXXXX.

:cheers:

Rope, why don't you just mark the trunk with a mingo on the way up and out each branch as you go... that would make the folk that get it much happier... It even has a little loop on the top molded in for a lanyard. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Rope, why don't you just mark the trunk with a mingo on the way up and out each branch as you go... that would make the folk that get it much happier... It even has a little loop on the top molded in for a lanyard. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Well if I did they would just decide to keep the wood see, so, I just cut em by guess then sort whilst loadin the truck.

Custom Wood racks built for 16" logs

When the utility crews were cutting the logs at 45 degrees they were in right of way at street no houses and not even any traffic since street was blocked off by their truck.

The person trimming our Oak was also using the 45 degree cut until I questioned them since they knew I wanted the logs for fireplace wood. He was in middle of 290' x 90' yard cutting 6 ft branches off tree.
Some crews cut at 45 and some don't but many don't.

Now, as far as marking I have built 2 large wood boxes to store wood in my attached garage where boat used to sit. These boxes were built using with 4x8 sheets of plywood and scraps of wood, 1 rack holds 1.25 cords (6' L X 32" D) and the other holds 2 cords (101" L X 64" Deep). All the wood is cut to 16" some longer or shorter may go on top. Now if the logs were all haphazard lengths I would not be able to put nearly as much wood into these bins that are just a few steps from my fireplace. The wood would have to be store outside and get wet as I do not have a shed outside.

I use a Spencer tape and crayon marker to mark our logs because the Mingo marker is too bulky and heavy to carry around. Crayons fit easily in pocket. My wife marks the logs while I cut the limbs off, quick and simple. She gets done before I do since I move so slow and then she starts clearing away the branches as I cut.

Our fireplace takes 16-18" but if I cut at 18 and happen to make a longer cut at 18.5 or 19 than I have to chop off that extra .5 inch. I do not have to worry if I cut at 16, I can cut just a bit longer if needed.

Well if I did they would just decide to keep the wood see, so, I just cut em by guess then sort whilst loadin the truck.

Last year we ordered 1 face cord of wood from some person as a sample of his firewood prior to ordering more.But that wood was the worst load of crap I have ever seen. Pieces were cut short and long. Some pieces were only 5 inches long and some were 22 inches long or full of spikes . I had asked previous that our fireplace only took sizes at max 18".
The split wood was a waste also. Good pieces of Oak split down to 1"x2", I got about a dozen of these. No split log was bigger than a 2"x3" My all nighters I split for are 5.5"x 5.5" x16

What is with SE Michigan firewood sellers do they not understand wood dimensions. We were shorted again, I stacked the logs in outside in a 4 x 8ft row and came up 3 x7. :censored:

I told him to pick the stuff up with a refund or I would report him for shorting us. I got my money and kindling out of my yard. He said if I cut the long stuff it would make up for the shorter logs, what if I did not have a chainsaw or I was a much older man,STUPID idiot. At least I got rid of the crap and I got my money back.

Last year we ordered 1 face cord of wood from some person as a sample of his firewood prior to ordering more.But that wood was the worst load of crap I have ever seen. Pieces were cut short and long. Some pieces were only 5 inches long and some were 22 inches long or full of spikes . I had asked previous that our fireplace only took sizes at max 18".
The split wood was a waste also. Good pieces of Oak split down to 1"x2", I got about a dozen of these. No split log was bigger than a 2"x3" My all nighters I split for are 5.5"x 5.5" x16

What is with SE Michigan firewood sellers do they not understand wood dimensions. We were shorted again, I stacked the logs in outside in a 4 x 8ft row and came up 3 x7. :censored:

I told him to pick the stuff up with a refund or I would report him for shorting us. I got my money and kindling out of my yard. He said if I cut the long stuff it would make up for the shorter logs, what if I did not have a chainsaw or I was a much older man,STUPID idiot. At least I got rid of the crap and I got my money back.

Here your complaining of size and your not even using the accepted form of cordwood measure. Hell you were not shorted if he gave you a few sticks with a string tied and a face painted on them lmfao. Anything legal is cord,fractions of cord or cubic foot/meter. I have many sizes and enough to sort for very picky customers but my pieces are usually 14 to 16 or 18 to 22

That falls under shortwood or long for my fireplace friends:) I have one lady that wants 12 inch stuff and she pays pretty good for it. If I have one inclination of a customer being picky I inform them of the price of their special consideration. At 150 per cord I ain't going to get very picky but they wont get shorted cause I will allow my cord measurement for varying size. At least from me they are truly getting hardwood as some of the people I served said the wood they bought did not burn right and they were getting hackbury,sweet gum etc. I burn the junk at home because I hate to burn my best wood for my heat I do burn some of it late season though.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Sounds like my kind of wood.Boy, iwould hate to deliver to your house. I did some wood today.I wanted to share my perfectly measured pieces and how they affect my messy unkept piles.I`ve got wood from 3" to 22" stacked in here.I`ve got a lot to go still.This is the 5th row at 12' long and 7' high.It`s a big mess isn`t it?Notice how every piece is exactly the same so the rows don`t fall over.LOL!!!

Much of the wood sold in SE MIchigan is sold by face cord unless you ask for a full cord. In the above case the it was optional and I was "testing" a new source of wood in case I needed an emergency supply. I have since found an honest one but it is a 40 min drive and they do not deliver to my location. I have a trailer that only holds a face cord and my dad has sold a trailer full for years. WE always include a bit extra to make up for air gaps if customer stacks tight or different than us. So, we know what a face cord measurement is!!! No complaints since we started in 1974.

If we had ordered a full cord ($270.00) from the previously mentioned person we would have been shorted by as much as 1/3 of a cord ($90) since he delivered all the wood pallets and dumped them off on drive. That is the rip-off I measured them to be 3'x3' when he picked up his pile of crap since he had some in his truck. One double row 3' pallet of firewood does not measure out to be 8' no matter how short or long your logs are.

Now for those short pieces yes they burn fine, and there is no problem cutting them off the long pieces, but it is an extra step an extra that is not economical for the buyer. Or if the short pieces are included in the cord of wood with 6" of air on each end of the log, is the stack of logs full of air instead of solid wood.
Maybe that is the problem we are getting into is: I stack all the proper length logs we may buy and then put the shorts into a pile to put on top. We usually come up with a short stack. whereas the seller stacks all the logs together including shorts and air spaces. :mad:Therefore, I am paying for air.

Hey Joe.. Those stacks look like a couple in my yard!

It all burns, and it all makes heat!

Of course then there's the rick lmfao
yep, there is allways the famous rick,usually delivered green on a 1/2 ton pick up for 60 bucks.
At that rate the 14 cord i have stacked wood be 37 loads at a mere 2,220 bucks.
cheaper to just burn propane if you buy from these sellers.

very professional looking.I especially like the cedar and punky cherry.

Ya like that?I did that on purpose to see if some of you would catch it.It ALL burns, and I aint paying for it! The punky stuff was at the bottom.Mushrooms burn too.I burn it all.:clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back