Video: Felling a Tulip tree with a strange buttress trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1CallLandscape said:
yup, i am also pretty sure that you use that because of the different varietys of trees you cut...how well do the tulips and palms hold a hinge???

They are piss weak mostly, I've cut big mouthed 90 degree notches in palms and they'll just break off around 60 degrees ... but there are exceptions with some palms depending on variety, and how wet they are.

Now pine, that'll hang on good unless it's been a long drought or Lopa's excavator guy wrenches them out. :cheers:

In the black hills I never see palm trees, or tulip trees for that matter. I enjoyed the video a lot, the buttress trunk is something of a challenge that really makes for an enjoyable viewing. Also, the offsetting of the rope from the plane that you were felling the tree, as a compensation for the wind is something I haven't yet heard of. All of my tree experience and learning has been taught from a few guys that have 3-5 years of experience in tree work, so I will obviously not be receiving the most comprehensive education. I ordered the book The fundamentals of general tree work by G.F. Beranek, and when I finish I will get the tree climbers companion.
With all that said, (I know, a very long winded disclaimer) correct me if I am mistaken: You chose to use a 30 degree displacement between the plane of your notch, and the pull direction of the rope, because the wind was blowing at a direction 30 degrees away (on the oposite side of the rope) from the way you wanted the tree to fall? I will have to remember that one for a windy day. Thanks for the wicked entertaining vid.
:popcorn:

Yeah, we set the rope perfectly into the wind.

Those books are a good choice.

There's many things that experienced people do, and those books are written by experienced people, they walk the talk.

Have fun, there's a lot of it in this job if you know what you are doing and aren't floundering with doubt.:)

Back