Video: Trunk walking, spikeless DRT access

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Interesting technique.

Looks pretty simple on a straight trunk like that...how bout one w/ a lot of leads or knots? Dont necessarily need the video, just some feed back.

Thanks,

It's about horses for courses I suppose.

If it were a trunk of something like a pine etc well then you'd have to do something else I suppose, there's many options, footlock, pantin, mars etc.:cool:

Dude I tried that technique, but after watching the vid again, looks like I need to practice a bit before I have it down. Like most things in the tree industry, not as easy as it looks. That being said, its a great idea that I'm sure works when done correctly. Thanks for sharing,
J.D.

oh well, you'll find what suits you, I got a pantin also.

I use that when away from the trunk and cant get the kanga in! ;)

It is a really good technique. With some tree structures a Pantin is easier...but on a straight vertical trunk the trunkwalk is really easy.

Steel cord lanyard makes the "flip up" part a lot easier. Also, if you hit a section with a lot of branches, just foot lock the tail and climb up past the branches. I usually use a combination of trunk walk on the lower (branch-free) parts and then foot lock the tail through the limbs and branches.

Didn't know this thread was here. Eric, I tried the trunk walk per your website video and found it very easy. Tried on a pine with straight trunk up to first limb, maybe 30 feet.

Trying to broaden my skills a little and this was my first time off the hooks.

tks for taking the time to share

Love it!

I used this technique and it worked out great! Being a noob to tree climbing and showing the boss this technique(which he was quite impressed with) gave me a good bit of confidence and energy consevation. Thanks Ekka.

Hey Eric! Why not just foot-lock the tail? Seems like a lot inchworm stuff compared to just footlocking the tail on a 2:1 dynamic system.

Thanks
jtz

That's what I was thinking, but thanks for sharing Eric.

Nice one, I am a big fell too and really struggle with foot locking, seems like a usefull addition to the bag of tricks...

I teach an arboriculture course in NZ, do you mind me showing my students the vid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one, I am a big fell too and really struggle with foot locking, seems like a usefull addition to the bag of tricks...

I teach an abroriculture course in NZ, do you mind me showing my students the vid?

Is that the same as Arboriculture? :cheers:

Latest posts

Back