view from the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
upload_2016-4-15_9-57-54.png

looks big from space.:laugh: 20 acres.

Very nice setup there, also a nice straight plow furrow. Do you plant different varieties of sweet corn or just one variety?
i plant several varieties of bi-color which is my biggest seller and 1 each of yellow and white. not much white. took a few rounds till i could get a pic of a straight furrow.:laugh:

20160420_125901_resized.jpg first patches for 2016. planted bi-color and white. kinda hard to drive straight and take pics at the same time. if you look hard in the picture of the trees you see a deer laying there. guess she's waiting on the sweet corn to grow.:cry:20160420_125753_resized.jpg the brown strip to the right of the planter is asparagus.

10-4. I had in mind you were a bigger farmer for some reason.
He looks pretty big in a pair of chaps and a hoodie :laugh:.
View attachment 498509
looks big from space.:laugh: 20 acres.
That's a really cool picture.
View attachment 499435kinda hard to drive straight and take pics at the same time.
The trick I've learned is to always have your arm on you leg steering from the bottom side of the wheel. This keeps the wheel from turning when you turn your body. In a car hauling this is a standard that is taught to all drivers as they do a lot of backing in some very tight quarters.

Rows look straight to me, Nice planter is that a ford, can't tell in the picture.
Yep, the old Ford 309 2 row. 36" rows. i bought a package deal from an old farmer who was retiring for a second time.international 364,plow, disk,disc mower and the planter. parts are hard to come by for the planter nowadays. i see sets of "rare" :rolleyes: 309 planter plates on ebay for $100. :laugh:

I have hundreds of john deere plates. I have the adapters to run them in my 4 row AC no- till. I think they can be adapted to run in the ford also. What size plates do you use for the sweet corn. You can also buy plates here. lincoln ag. I lent 2 plates to my neighbor sunday to use in his old oliver 2 row no-till planter with the adaptors. Lincoln ag also sells the adaptors. the plates are about $14.00 each. If you need any plates just let me know.

i can still get plates if i need them at the ford (NH) shop. i have about 6 sets that cover all my corn planting. i did talk to lincoln ag a few years ago but they couldn't help. my dad has buckets full of old JD & IH plates that he bought at public sales over the years. no ford plates though.

Good deal, now you need some rain on that corn, we getting dry here.
supposed to get some rain here the next day or so. the NH tractor is covered with dust from disking yesterday. the weather guys are saying possible t-storms friday. i cut some asparagus today and it's pushing up big chunks of ground.

Think I am going to disk a couple fields tomorrow also in HOPES that it does rain friday. I don't usually plant any sweet corn until the first week or so in may. then start on the sunflowers about the 15th.

I love asparagus esp. with hollandaise sauce!!

Man FS, you said this thread was moving slow. Every time I look it's turning new ground, both literally and the learning for a suburbanite like me.
I have pictures of the gardens I tilled last yr, but I have never planted much of anything.
I wonder if any of those parts would be available up here.

Think I am going to disk a couple fields tomorrow also in HOPES that it does rain friday. I don't usually plant any sweet corn until the first week or so in may. then start on the sunflowers about the 15th.

I love asparagus esp. with hollandaise sauce!!
@amberg. what planter do you use to plant the sunflowers and what variety? also have you ever seen deer eating them? thanks.

farmer, I use a allis chalmers 6 row 600 series 30 inch row no-till planter that I changed to a 4 row 36 inch row planter back in 1986 when I stopped growing soy beans. I got the spacers and sunflower plates from lincoln ag ( several different sizes of sunflower plates ) to plant the peredovic black oil sunflower seed that are used for dove fields. they get about 4' tall, I set the planter to space them about 10 to 12 inch's apart in 36" rows so I can run the cultivator through them. There is a group that comes here every year on opening day of dove season and they like to hunt the sunflowers. As far as the deer eating them I do notice that they will nibble a few of the leaves that are close to the woods, but not enough to hurt them. I also have 3 acres of wheat that I planted last fall that will be left this summer for the doves and give the deer something to munch on if they want, not a whole bunch of deer to close here.

Back