view from the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is gonna be the first early sweet corn patch this year. decided to moldboard plow instead of chisel, in hopes of keeping the weed load down. this was the pepper patch last year.View attachment 289794

We do all of our plowing in the fall of the year so it can freeze and break down. Then we disc it down. Most of the time if you turn it this time a year you can't get all the clods out? But hey turning land is one of my favorite things to do!!

We do all of our plowing in the fall of the year so it can freeze and break down. Then we disc it down. Most of the time if you turn it this time a year you can't get all the clods out? But hey turning land is one of my favorite things to do!!

i try to do that also but to much rain and to many people wantin firewood last fall just didnt happen. probably have to run the big rototiller thru it to get it in shape.

this is gonna be the first early sweet corn patch this year. decided to moldboard plow instead of chisel, in hopes of keeping the weed load down. this was the pepper patch last year.View attachment 289794

Looks good from here. Almost looks like a place in Western NC where I was at this year. I bet the smell of that soil would do my heart some good. Thanks for posting!

I woke up to an icy snow on the ground and still nearly a foot of snow on my garden (where snow from the driveway is plowed up all winter). I really want to get on the tractor!

Looking good Farmer Steve.

Finally got a day off yesterday so got to work somemore in the garden, figured I'd share my view from the tractor.

View attachment 294046

This is the patch we plant corn in, already got the other two gardens going. We rotate sections of this patch with corn in strips but I still am working on breaking up the plow pan with ground hog radishs. Beautiful dirt but doesn't drain real well, gotta plant it late.

Looking good Farmer Steve.

Finally got a day off yesterday so got to work somemore in the garden, figured I'd share my view from the tractor.

View attachment 294046

This is the patch we plant corn in, already got the other two gardens going. We rotate sections of this patch with corn in strips but I still am working on breaking up the plow pan with ground hog radishs. Beautiful dirt but doesn't drain real well, gotta plant it late.

haven't tried those radishes yet but do know guys that have. dirt looks purty. and that a view from Farmall. planted 2 patches of sweet corn mon.

haven't tried those radishes yet but do know guys that have. dirt looks purty. and that a view from Farmall. planted 2 patches of sweet corn mon.

Yep it is. It's a little farmall 140 with the old IH fast hitch system. It has a single 16" moldboard plow but its got both RH & LH plows on a swivel so it's plows as fast a 2 bottom plow if you like throwing all your furrows to one side. All you do is throw the plow over with a lever when you get to the end of the row and go back around the other way. It's pretty slick for gardens and such. I used to use a Farmall 966 with a 5 bottom plow to do the bigger cow corn / grain corn fields but we've been converting those corn fields over to hay fields these days.

If you do try the ground hog radishes mix it with crimson red clover makes really nice cover crop up here, we spread a little manure on it throughout the winter and then bush hog it in the spring about a week or two before we plow it under. We've been only top dressing the corn with urea after we cultivate and have had good results.

I finally got some sweet corn up. Last night we had a real turd floater and now most of the corn is laying over. I got a chore ahead of me today. I think it need to grow upright. :msp_biggrin:

Back