Villiers Two Man Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I just picked up a very large Villiers Two Man Saw. The saw has a 63mm Bore and 83mm Stroke (15.7 cid) The cylinder has four intake ports and two exhaust ports, the carburetor and intake manifold are made of brass, as are the clutch, index and throttle lever assemblies. The carb and intake have a matte chrome finish.
The cylinder is cast iron with a steel sleeve and the head is aluminum. The saw has a cylindrical gas tank mounted across the back of the cooling shroud and it has a manual oiler setup on one end of the tank. This saw is very heavy, much heavier than the Mall model 7
The reason for the decription is there is no model number on the saw, just "Villiers" and a serial number. When I got the saw, it was dissassembled, I have everything except the three cylinder head bolts/studs. These bolts/studs are not English or Metric, they appear to be Wentworth (?) thread. Can anyone tell me where I can find these parts?

I may post a picture if there is enough interest.

Best Regards; David Risner

Hi
I would check with some of the old Triumph an BSA cycle dealers,maybe they can help you with the bolts.They used the same thread up until the early 70s.If that doesn't work out ,try a local machine shop,they should be able to rethread a bolt for you or you can rethread the case.
Dan

Villiers did not manufacture chain saws. They are an engine manufacturer and supplied several of the early chain saw builders with various sizes of motor from 98cc to 350cc. Villiers supplied engines to many motorcycle builders in England prior to and after WW-II. There is a web site with Villiers parts. Most of the manufacturers that used the Villiers motor put other identifying numbers on their parts. Villiers supplied a bare engine with carburetor and everything else had to be built by the people making the saw so the fan housing, transmission etc. were all made up, usually of aluminum casting. Look at the attached picture. It is a Burnett "Forest King" model B29.
This saw was built in Vancouver, BC and used a 250cc Villiers. There were saws built in England, Canada and Austrailia that used the Villiers.
Is there any paint on your saw, if so what colour?

Hello;

You are correct, after doing some digging; I did find out that Villiers didn't manufacture any chainsaws (embarrassed) and I was told that I have a Danarm chainsaw, a model 250.
My saw is bright red and there are no other markings, or place for an ID tag. If there was a decal, it has long since been washed off. There is a brass tag with mixing instructions, and more mixing instructions on the brass gas tank cap.
The name "Villiers" is cast on the fan housing, throttle control, and engine case with the serial number. This is the reason for my mistaking the saw as being a Villiers.

I learn something new every day.

Hi,
You're right about the threaded fastners. Whitworth (coarse threads) & BSF (fine threads) were used on vintage Brittish items. Check vintage Brittish auto & motorcycle sites & shops for parts. Bolts & nuts are available, but not always easy to find. What kind of carb does your saw have on it? R.Rowe

Hello R.Rowe;

My saw has a brass Villiers variable venturi carburetor, I am assuming that is what type it is. The carb has the sliding cylinder, actuated by a central cable; Sidedraft style. The needle valve is attached to this cylinder as well. The intake manifold is also made of brass.
There are other brass parts as well; the clutch levers, index lever, and throttle lever, as well as the gas tank cap. It will make an attractive saw when restored. As you may guess, the powerhead is very heavy!

Hi David,
Carb sounds similar to or the same as those used on motorcycles. There should be a low speed mixture adjustment screw & stop screw for the slide to adjust the idle speed. High speed mixture is usually adjusted by raising & lowering the needle in the slide. High speed jets can be changed, but this seldom is necessary unless engine has been modified. I can't recall seeing this type carb made of brass on a bike, but they may have been used. Never were too many Villers around here, & I was always into Triumphs anyway. Sounds like a great project, a saw with a motorcycle engine. Hope you can post some pictures of it in the future. Good luck with it.
R.Rowe

Hello all;

Thank you all for your help with my Danarm 250 chainsaw! I have one more question; does anyone know where I can find a helper handle for my saw?
Good pictures of the helper handle would be the next best thing. Using the pictures, I can make a reproduction handle for my saw. Of course I will have to use "English" thread stndards though as the other tooling doesn't seem to be available.

Thanks Again; David R

Back