Vine advice requested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnott

Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife and I bought a home recently that has about 20 red cedars (I think) lining the driveway. They are all covered with vines - some thorny and some not. It seems like the trees were planted and just never maintained. I thought it'd be a good idea to cut the vines at the root and 5 feet up to kill them. The problem I am facing is that the trees have some very low branches that appear to be dead (the dead zone?). These low branches make it really hard for me to get access to the vines. My question is: Is it safe to prune some of the low branches to allow access to the vines? I am familiar with the proper pruning techniques but do I really need to sterilize the lopper or saw before each cut?

Thanks for your help, this is a great site!

-Jfile-15.jpeg file-14.jpeg file-16.jpeg

Thanks Raintree, just to clarify: I do NOT need to disinfect the tools before pruning a few of the dead lower branches. Correct? Should I mulch around the trees as well after I get rid of the vines?

Thank you.

Proceed with caution. As Jed1124 mentioned you have poison ivy in the mix.

You can hurt yourself and not know it until the next day, then it's a month or so of agony.

Wash any clothes/tools with detergent after work. Yourself ASAP if you come in contact.

Thank you all! How do you all wash your leather gloves that have come into contact with poison ivy without drying them out?

i wash poison ivy off with paper towels soaked with rubbing alchohol , or some unproofed moonshine if ya got it, then use soap and warm water to be sure.
its the oils from poison ivy that will get ya

Back