Vines everywhere

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-7

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My son just bought a 4 acre parcel bordering on a wetland and golf course. Vines all over the ground and in 90% of the trees. I would have passed, but couldn't convince him. We have already taken down a dozen trees up to 24" (mostly oaks) in the building and septic field footprint after clearing about an acre with a walk-behind brush mower. Burning the brush, getting a great pile of wood ready to split for firewood. The vines are definitely an invasive species, but they go up the tree brown, the trunks aren't covered with leaves. Vines are from 1/8" to over 2". Not attached to the bark with suckers like the ivy that was on my brick home. Some twisted, some go straight up. I have climbing gear, mostly rec tree climbing and some light trimming, but now at 70 YO, I just might leave the climbing to him, he is an ironworker and familiar with safety and heights and has done some climbing. We are starting by cutting the vines at ground level to kill them, now the problem is how to remove them higher up. They go well up into the canopy. Some pull down, but most break off at about 20 feet up. So many vines in some that throwing a bag will just likely get tangled and hung up. Our current idea is to just cut them as high as we can get a ladder (about 20'). Any words of wisdom?

We ruined my 150' hank of Blue Streak doing things we shouldn't have. Local Stihl dealer has 150' of 7/16" Notch Dragon kernmantle for $103. Any good?

Cut the vines at ground level and then again at five ft. high. That way you know you got them all.

Don't worry about the rest of the vines up in the trees. They are dead once cut and will fall out over the next few years or decade.

Sounds like you may have muscadine grape vines.

Probably not muscadine that far north...but I'd also guess wild grape. Could be bittersweet. Are the vines using the trunks of the trees for support (bittersweet/poison ivy/Virginia creeper are the most common), more more hanging off of the canopy (grape)?

If you aren't going to use any herbicide, I'd just do the higher cut suggested by @Del_ Often times that is enough to get a good handle on the problem. Without herbicide, they will likely sprout - whether you cut them at the ground or 4-5' high. Grape vines don't do real well in the shade, so if the canopy is dense enough, those sprouts won't be terribly successful. If, however, they are still getting a lot of sun, they'll be right back. When they are really bad, I suggest making the upper cut AND cutting them where they enter the ground and treating that ground cut with Tordon - just a few drops. It is important to cut/treat, cut/treat and not come back later to treat. The end starts to seal off pretty quickly after you cut it and the herbicide won't get in. You have about 3-4 weeks to work on that yet this winter. When you see sap flowing out when you make the cut, don't bother treating with herbicide, it won't go in. You can start cutting and treating again once they leaves are fully formed.

Latest posts

Back