Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensie1988

Vintage Saw Maniac
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just joined because there seems to be a healthy knowledge base here on old chainsaws. I recently was given an old 74 Homelight Super XL Auto by my wife's grandfather. It is in great running condition by the way (if you would like to see pictures just let me know). I have always loved chainsaws but never really owned one, so this one will be my first. I am wanting to restore this amazing machine by cleaning it up and eventually repainting it. Any information would be helpful at this point, but I would also like to know your opinions on saws I should look for in the future, I've been looking really hard at the Poulan 306A and maybe a vintage McCulloch as well. Any links to any type of resource would be appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Welcome. If you look around your area, old saws aren't hard to find, often $5 to $25 at rummage sales or Craigslist (although these will often not be running). Once you get more familiar you will know what saw families share parts which makes putting a few together to get a handful of runners pretty easy.

Be careful, saws are very addicting!!!

Also-the brand specific and model specific threads in the "chainsaw stickies" sub forum are the best place to ask questions on the older saws. Each brand usually has a couple of experts and a few other knowledgeable folks who hang out in there that really make the learning curve easier. Best threads in the chainsaw forum by far.

You're already off to a good start with the super xl (lets see a pic). Those were in my opinion were one of the toughest saws made. One of the most copied also. I love em infact i have 4 supers and a green cover xl-12

Check out you local auctions too. Its amazing how many people cast away "old heavy clunkers" that there was nothing wrong with when they went out if service. Theres a reason there still around,they were built to last not throw away.

Here are the pictures y'all asked for! Also I've checked around on Craigslist but I didn't find too much. I've been looking around eBay, but without knowing the model lines for the saws I don't get many hits.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 422
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 409
  • image.png
    image.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 379
I don't know if you are aware but on eBay make an account and when you search a term you can click save search. Then go in and you can have emails sent every time a new listing comes in under that search term. Sometimes some good stuff pops up. It's a waiting game.

I don't know if you are aware but on eBay make an account and when you search a term you can click save search. Then go in and you can have emails sent every time a new listing comes in under that search term. Sometimes some good stuff pops up. It's a waiting game.
I will most definitely have to go in and set that up then! And I might just have to track down one of those blue Super XL's!

Make yourself some business cards brother and i did you can get 500 cards made off the Internet for 10 bucks we just put buy sell and trade chainsaws and parts, put some in the parts stores, bulletin boards at the banks, you name it. I work as a mechanic in a farming community so i get the 411 on old saws in the barns, brother and i scored 35 saws at one place.

Make yourself some business cards brother and i did you can get 500 cards made off the Internet for 10 bucks we just put buy sell and trade chainsaws and parts, put some in the parts stores, bulletin boards at the banks, you name it. I work as a mechanic in a farming community so i get the 411 on old saws in the barns, brother and i scored 35 saws at one place.

That is most definitely an amazing idea!

That's a hell of an idea! I'll steal that one too

Latest posts

Back