Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I've worked with a Schnacke starter. The flywheel nut has teeth and the starter pulley has matching teeth that extend and engage theJust flywheel nut when you pull the rope. The trick was to add a spacer between the flywheel and nut so the axle threads were below the teeth. The teeth on the original starter were chewed up a little so I believe it was not set up correctly. Luckily, the part on the second saw was good so I changed it over but found it extended in too far and was hitting the flywheel nut teeth. I then had to make a spacer to move the starter outward and keep the teeth clear of the flywheel nut until the rope is pulled. All came out well and I have spark now. I went ahead and put the tank and rear cone on for pics. I still need to double check everything before adding fuel and attempting to start and I don't know what to expect with the pressurized fuel tank. Still looking for an operator's manual. Here are pics.
Edit - just realized I didn't post any "before" pics. Here they are. I didn't know if the red stripes were factory or not but thought they looked cool, so I added them.
Just realized I said "axle threads" when I meant Crank threads.

I put a shot of fuel in the sparkplug hole to see if it would pop - and it did. I put about 5oz. of mix in the tank and took it outside to give it a try, here is the video. It was a little rich at first so I leaned the idle mix down and tried again. Sounds like the high end is about right. I still need to work on idle speed setting and mix. I may not try a cut - don't want to put any strain on the belt than necessary. I do have another bar and chain I will put on if I try a cut.

Yea the story I heard I think was the company pist the guy off and he switched companies. I think some homelite and remington parts are interchangeable. Might of been Heimannm who I heard it from in a thread a month or so ago.

I'm currently resurrecting another vintage Stihl 031av, while doing some random searching on the net I came across this image of one, owned at the time by an Aussie. It's the first 031 I've seen shown as being a "FarmBoss", seams odd being that the 041av was still in production and as I remember was the model referred to as the FarmBoss. Guessing the Aussie version 031's were called the FarmBoss in that time period, but not sure what the 041av would been dubbed in the down under.....Stihl 031AV3.jpg🤔

Latest posts

Back