Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at this site:
http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
Very good parts diagrams, and NOS parts for the old Homelites.

I recently got bitten the bug as well. Picked up a Super EZ auto locally (made in 1973). Runs well after a warm up. Stripped it down for a carb overhaul, fuel/oil lines. Found a crack near the bar stud. Ordered a NOS part from Leon's, very reasonable prices.

I have exhibit A of a non-reliable Dolmar saw. I haven't had it running right since I've owned it and really haven't figured it out for sure what the problem is. It's a 420 and I imagine it's got a bad carburetor but hate to spend the $75 to find out. I have other Dolmars that have been okay though..

Resisting the temptation, the guy I got the Super ES from, has as XL bow saw. Carb's apart, $50.

Hmmmm?

So I ran my SXL this weekend. Is it supposed to smoke from around the muffler and the flywheel? Or is it just oil and sawdust heating up and smoking?

Yea, the white smoke didn't start coming from the flywheel until it had already been running for half an hour. I looked into the muffler just to make sure and it looked good from what I saw.

Yea I will pull off the cover and check it out next time I get a minute. This saw was really well taken care of, so I will feel really bad if something happens to it now after all of these years. When I pulled the muffler apart I looked at the piston and after 42 years the piston doesn't have any scoring.

Those saws are tough as they come im not surprised the piston was clean... btw if you need anything i have a mountain of super xl parts.

Those saws are tough as they come im not surprised the piston was clean... btw if you need anything i have a mountain of super xl parts.
That's good to know! I will most definitely hit you up if I need anything! I've been perusing Craigslist trying to find some old saws, I found a couple home lights, both were bigger saws, but one guy wanted a fortune for his "Vintage" Homelight. He was asking like $600. But I don't know that may be the going rate for one with like a 50" bar.

It depends on the model... a 650 super or 750 homelite will command those kinda prices.

I still have a lot to learn about the values of these old saws that's for sure, now that I look back at it, it's a Homelight 1050 with a 60" bar

Latest posts

Back