Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I'm still to green I feel to start spending that on saws, maybe once I invest a little more into the hobbie I can start going after the muscle saws like that. There is a McCulloch Super Pro 60 for $160 that looks like it's in decent shape. Was the Super Pro 60 a good saw.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 34
Yes it was @astnmacgto just left the house, he'll chime in pretty soon as hes the mac collector, poulan is my area. I know brother has a sp60 he really likes

That super pro 60 is in fantastic condition just by the looks, it's worth 160 if it runs and if It doesn't run but still has plenty of good compression, I would still buy it, but I would haggle him down enough to atleast buy tune up parts, carb kit, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, and spark plug, better figure 130 to 140 dollars at that point, I love mine and it pulls a 20 inch bar just fine, the 10 series saws are all good ones, basically what I'm saying is if you want it, buy it, but you won't be able to make any extra money if you resell it.
ADLM

That super pro 60 is in fantastic condition just by the looks, it's worth 160 if it runs and if It doesn't run but still has plenty of good compression, I would still buy it, but I would haggle him down enough to atleast buy tune up parts, carb kit, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, and spark plug, better figure 130 to 140 dollars at that point, I love mine and it pulls a 20 inch bar just fine, the 10 series saws are all good ones, basically what I'm saying is if you want it, buy it, but you won't be able to make any extra money if you resell it.
ADLM

Well I'm not exactly getting into this to make a ton of money, just to collect and preserve some amazing machines from a great time in history.

Well I'm not exactly getting into this to make a ton of money, just to collect and preserve some amazing machines from a great time in history.
That's a good attitude to have, I don't intend to sell ANY of the saws I have bought specifically for my collection, but it makes me feel good to know that I'm not upside down on any that I've bought........ yet.
there's no sense in overpaying for something they mass produced as there will always be another one, but If you do enough research you will find certain models of any brand that if they show up for sale, you buy them, period.
ADLM

I always think about selling some of my backup saws and then I don't.
The only saws I've considered selling are my homelites as they aren't really anything special as far as collectability goes. And that money could be better used on macs haha.
ADLM

I do like those little Reed valve Homies. They work great in wood up to 12" or so.

Eventually here I need to add a creamsickle and some Echo orange. Just to balance things out a bit ;)

I do like those little Reed valve Homies. They work great in wood up to 12" or so.

Eventually here I need to add a creamsickle and some Echo orange. Just to balance things out a bit ;)
Two brands I don't currently own are echo and shindaiwa, don't know about em
ADLM

So is there any resource that will help me learn which saws were the more common and mass produced saws, because at this point I'm just wanting to buy everything, but not knowing if I'm getting good deals or not.

So is there any resource that will help me learn which saws were the more common and mass produced saws, because at this point I'm just wanting to buy everything, but not knowing if I'm getting good deals or not.
The biggest thing is what their intended purpose will be once you have them, some vintage saws like mcculloch 7-10a or 10-10a, poulan 245a, Homelite super xl, are all good saws for cutting firewood and having fun and making noise all at the same time. I enjoy these saws because they are old but have great power to weight ratio as well. But if you are going for super odd stuff or stuff that are more collectors items them you'll find the big, bulky, heavy, odd design, or odd manufacturers will be up your alley. Acresinternet is your friend, I sometimes get on there and look through models and look at specs of the saws and if I find one that peaks my interest I will look for pictures on google, then I take to ebay to see how easy they are to find. But keep in mind, prices on ebay aren't always gospel, and I tend to take them with a grain of salt.
ADLM

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...7e0630b1c9171fef88256b0000653812?OpenDocument
This is one of my favorite goofy designed macs, but the goofy design makes them near impossible to get running, and they aren't worth a whole lot but neat nonetheless
ADLM
Wow that is an interesting design! I have seen that site reference a lot and use it every time I see a saw model I've never seen before. It's definitely a little overwhelming to see all the different manufacturers and then hundreds of the different models of saws.

Can't remember if I was telling you or someone else. I have a bar with .500 chain and part of the case for this saw or one that's very similar.
You may have told me that, I don't remember lol, and the model 33, 35, and 39 were all the same basic design.
ADLM

Latest posts

Back