Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the past weekend was kinda a wash on saws again. Troubleshooted the Dolly 420 again to no avail. Still will run on idle, but not rev up properly. Partner cutoff saw crankcase showed up yesterday...a day after I left, and perhaps most sadly to me, my new to me 6421 makita is another no go. It ran on prime, but wouldn't stay running. I started pulling it apart to put my big bore on it and encountered a lot of crud in the crankcase. So i'm mixing it out with premix and fuel starts pouring out on the bench. Knew it was a seal at that point and the clutch side promptly came off. Seal fell right out and the bearing balls were all at the bottom of the race...:oops: I was super confused as there was no play in the bearing, and the piston and cylinder still had normal wear. So I am torn as to what I want to do with this one now, especially as there is some wear on the shaft where the clutch drum bearing rides that would have to be fixed. What are your guy's thoughts? Part out or do a full rebuild with a repaired crankshaft, seals, and bearings?

2100 cd in nice shape , had some issues with oiler , better look after some clean up , will put the oem spike
832e3c096a105f123219ee2a5578aecf.jpg
9284510ddca82b98940cfabeee7aedf4.jpg
66cc34171a0f1beb2c27ecbd5d6344bc.jpg

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
That is sexy! Nice score!

May want to check case bore, got to be a reason the seal fell out.

Steve
I will for sure, but I think it was because the crankshaft was beating it around since all the balls were floating around. The race looked visually fine for the seal, but a measurement is in the books if I rebuild.

HOE was a USA importer for Partner saws back in the late 50's early 60's, not a lot of info available on the importer but the Partner R11 was common enough at least in Europe. The first R11 had a straight rear handle with a thumb throttle like this one the later version has a more standard trigger throttle and curved handle. For this early version HOE had just simple water slide decals for I.D and then later had stamped aluminum name plates made up that were pop riveted onto the starter housing and clutch cover.

I found this saw languishing in an old van with most of the windows gone sitting in a field in Iowa at a small engine repair, it had been there for a good while. Some how it escaped serious corrosion and rust and is now a good runner. These are high compression engines and I expect a hot-rod saw in it's day. The oil pump drives off of the end of the crank (flywheel nut) and the coupler was missing on this saw, I made one up from a 13mm socket and siliconed it onto the flywheel nut to drive the pump. With 90cc displacement and high compression it takes a commitment to get it going, but with the overbuilt Bosch ignition (throws a really hot spark) it starts easy once it is fueled.

This one came with a 18" bar and 8 tooth sprocket with .404 63g chain, dry weight for compete power head less bar and chain is 19-1/4 pounds.

Tim

p1.jpg p2.jpg
P4040001.JPG

HOE was a USA importer for Partner saws back in the late 50's early 60's, not a lot of info available on the importer but the Partner R11 was common enough at least in Europe. The first R11 had a straight rear handle with a thumb throttle like this one the later version has a more standard trigger throttle and curved handle. For this early version HOE had just simple water slide decals for I.D and then later had stamped aluminum name plates made up that were pop riveted onto the starter housing and clutch cover.

I found this saw languishing in an old van with most of the windows gone sitting in a field in Iowa at a small engine repair, it had been there for a good while. Some how it escaped serious corrosion and rust and is now a good runner. These are high compression engines and I expect a hot-rod saw in it's day. The oil pump drives off of the end of the crank (flywheel nut) and the coupler was missing on this saw, I made one up from a 13mm socket and siliconed it onto the flywheel nut to drive the pump. With 90cc displacement and high compression it takes a commitment to get it going, but with the overbuilt Bosch ignition (throws a really hot spark) it starts easy once it is fueled.

This one came with a 18" bar and 8 tooth sprocket with .404 63g chain, dry weight for compete power head less bar and chain is 19-1/4 pounds.

Tim

View attachment 644099 View attachment 644100
My first look at one. Is it really as wide as it looks in pic?

Tim

View attachment 644099 View attachment 644100
Awesome Resto! Really enjoyed reading it and learning something new! Great saw to go in any collection!

168977AC-AAE5-483C-8677-220BA47DFBB2.jpeg
I one of those.. David Bradley with a Sears stamp. Put your earplugs in. Has no Muffler to speak of..sadly I'm half a continent away. Cheers, K
I have a David Bradley stamped Sears also! :innocent: I know, chain on backwards, old guy that sold said he was tired of it not cutting good since he bought it new!

View attachment 644352
I have a David Bradley stamped Sears also! :innocent: I know, chain on backwards, old guy that sold said he was tired of it not cutting good since he bought it new!
That's a cool looking saw.. Never seen one like that. Pic is the DB.. Other I haven't found yet but my guy says it's a Briggs and StrattonIMG_20171114_121056.jpg IMG_20171114_120955.jpg

Went to an auction today and picked up 21 saws new to the saw world but love the old ones. Up to 32
I have a problem...
Nice score-many desireable homelites,mcculloch 35 and 610, wright, little poulan sa25 in the back and a couple of power products. You do not have a problem-just a cheap fun hobby of restoring vintage magnesium saws---carry on!!!--David--South West Ga.

Back