Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is interesting to see the differences between the two chargers, one has a 12/24 volt switch and leads with clamps like jumper cables, the other has an ammeter and the plug for the Lear jet. It also has what looks like a standard 120 volt cord receptacle but appears to be wired directly to the alternator. So many changes in such a short time.

Mark
The 120volt receptacle baffles me? Unless it has a converter it would just put out 12 volt dc and whatever amps the alternator is rated for.

heimannm - this museum is great!!!! Looking at your signature, are you "missing" a Pro Mac 610 (60cc)? or a Timber Bear (55cc) ? Or "not missing them" haha ?

I've got a variety of differing vintages that are all getting fixed, the earliest seeming to be 600041C

The two saws in the 600 Series I am missing are the Super 610 and the 645. I am not sure if the 645 was actually built but I have IPL's that show it. I do have examples of the 610, 605, 650, 655, Silver Eagle 3420, Silver Eagle 3720, Timber Bear, Brown Timber Bear, Eager Beaver 3.4, Eager Beaver 3.7, PM5700, TMY 24086B (Montgomery Wards version) and the 690 cut off saw.

Mark

Wow. Simply incredible.

What is different about the Super 610, from the PM 610?

Also, one of the pics I saw one of the little top-handle saws, do you have an Eager Beaver (2.0)? the pic looked like it but I know they made several different versions.

I believe McCulloch was a great marketing organization as well as a leading manufacturer of chainsaws in their day. To make a 610 into a Super you modify the label...

I do have an NIB Mini Mac Eager Beaver that was one of the first saws I put in the display along with a Wildthing, see post #250.

There were several different models supplied by McCulloch with the "Eager Beaver" name including the Mini Mac versions EB2.0 (rigid and anti-vibe), 600 Series in 3.4 and 3.7 In3, 300 Series like the 330 and 340 EB2.1, 32/35 cc like the 2014 plastic Mac, at least one from the "McCulloch Italian Factory" similar to the 380 EB2.3, and even a variation or two during the Jenn Feng era EB42. The illustration below is the Italian job.

1592939622332.png
This is a Jenn Feng version.

20200323_174546.jpg

Mark

No, "Assembled in Mexico" equipment was still the "real McCulloch" but then known as McCulloch Corporation with their headquarters in Tucson, AZ. I get confused on the time line as McCulloch was sold to Black & Decker (in 1974?), spun off to Shop Vac (part of Black & Decker), employee owned, and under private ownership between 1974 and 1999. The assembly plant was in Hermosillo, Mexico and a long drive from Tucson but the Engineers from McCulloch would frequently make the trip to try and keep things on track.

All of the Jenn Feng saws that I have encountered are the vertical cylinder style and all have a more descriptive model/serial number label.

20200323_174902.jpg

I have no idea if there were any "transitional" saws made by Jenn Feng in the old McCulloch style. I would guess when they bought the naming rights (other than Europe) they just started using yellow and black plastic and new labels on products they were already producing for MTD and others. Having said that, I do believe that I have seen some documentation on the PM8200 type saws that was dated in the 2000's so perhaps they did continue to produce some of the more conventional McCulloch saws for a time. So much to learn...

Mark

yeah that Jenn Feng saw sure looks like a Poulan.

Sadly now, if I'm not mistaken Mac is part of the Husqvarna family and just branded similar to Poulan - lower end saws. Oh how the mighty have fallen :(

We had a sister company in Mexico our engineers were bussed everyday from Tucson to nagalas. We closed the plant due to violence down there.
Don’t wander around there looking for saws.

I moved some more items over the museum this week as well as moved the Comet from the workshop into the display area. I did not remember to get any photos of the McCulloch generator or the Comet in their new location but I will get some and get them posted soon.

Tonight my son came over to help me get the BP399-T and the drone engine up where they belong. The BP399-T is in the area above the front entry door, the drone engine is hanging from the ceiling. Photos don't really do them justice so I guess you will just have to come and see it in person. Please limit your groups to less than 10 at a time to keep the covid-19 watchdogs happy.

20200716_195322.jpg

20200716_195348.jpg

I put another brush cutter up this week as well as an electric string trimmer that came along. The latest brush cutter has the same 38 cc engine as the edger up above the entry.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a slow turning turntable for the BP399-T please let me know.

Mark

So incredible. I hope I can make it out there sometime.

Could you use an old belt-drive record turntable (not an expensive direct drive like Technics 1200), maybe with added ball bearings under the platter or something to take the weight of the BP399-T ? Adjust the belt gearing based on rotating speed?

If anyone has a good suggestion for a slow turning turntable for the BP399-T please let me know.
I have a lazy susan bearing on hand, I just need to figure out how to drive it slowly enough. There is a switched outlet nearby.
If the switch is not controlling multiple devices on the circuit, replace it with a dimmer switch and adjust the drive ratio of the turntable accordingly to obtain the desired results. A cheap ceiling fan motor could be used.

Use the motor from an electric chainsaw (geared down) to power it - that would be poetic. Have it operate on a momentary contact switch so that it is not always running.
Screen shot 2020-07-17 at 10.40.31 AM.png Or, mount the chainsaw switch on an adjacent stand.
Connect the two with some of that link belt stuff around a large, plywood disc.

Philbert

Use a geniva drive. You can adjust turns at the push of a button we use it on chucker machines for indexing. Can be made from plywood slotted with a roller bearing on a shoulder bolt shimmed with washers.or use a cam follower.

Bullard multimatic chucker, 6/12, 8/16 spindles., 6 chucks 1, 000lb chucks turns out a rough casting into a finished trailer truck brake drum. Each machine weighs 65,000lbs cost $750k.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=2123

Think about it, a geniva drive mounted under a table with a cut away chain saw showing the inner parts rotating while a chain saw rotates driven from a vertical shaft from the table to the ceiling?

Back