Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mark, congratulations on getting a special place for your collection. My shop was overflowing with shelves and saws to where I could hardly turn around so I got a good deal on a used 10X20 shed, did some work on the inside and now I have all my STIHL models, plus a few other brands, where I can enjoy them and share them with others.
shed 6.jpg
I have all the rest in the shop but now they are better organized and displayed and I have room to work once again. If you are ever back out to Chesapeake get in touch.
EA

It has been a while Mr. Anderson. I still have some photos from way back when... I spy a BP-1 and a LeSabre in your special place as well as a Druzhba, KMS4, and the JD version of the horizontal twin, very nice indeed.

Where did you find the wire mesh shelving? That looks like an excellent solution to storage and display questions.

PICT0004.JPG

I see a bundle of lumber staged on the street next to by building space, I am looking forward to seeing the walls going up soon.

Mark

Hey Mark, congratulations on getting a special place for your collection. My shop was overflowing with shelves and saws to where I could hardly turn around so I got a good deal on a used 10X20 shed, did some work on the inside and now I have all my STIHL models, plus a few other brands, where I can enjoy them and share them with others.
View attachment 679147
I have all the rest in the shop but now they are better organized and displayed and I have room to work once again. If you are ever back out to Chesapeake get in touch.
EA
That's a better selection than all the Stihl dealers around here.

Steve

Well Mark I forgot all about the picture you took of us. Steve (on the right) passed away in his sleep about 3 years ago, just so you know. I helped his wife dispose of his saws and shop tools at an auction house as she needed the money quick.
So I have not found any other collectors around here to share our disease with.
Mark, I got the wide shelves on the left wall from from the Home Despot and the slightly narrower 2 down the middle from Wally World. I like them because the light gets through to the saws on lower shelves. On the left wall I put 1X4 strips with all the bars hanging on pegs and the shelves standing in front. This made good use of the wall space where fixed shelves like on the right would not let me hang anything. I painted the walls white to make the light go further. I am going to add some sort of light under the two big built in shelves across the back so the saws under there show up better.
To answer Steve above (s sidewall) as I started collecting STIHL and other models about 14 years ago, my goal was to have at least one STIHL from each series number that was sold in the US starting back in the late 1950's when Andreas Stihl once again began selling in the US. So the BLK, 1102 series is on the upper right at the far end, and as you go down each row on the right I have at least 1 example of every series number all the way to 1146 on the bottom left side of the shed. It is fascinating to me to see how the design and engineering evolved when you look at the saws in order of market release. I have saved some room for the MS 400 with a ceramic coated magnesium piston, and of course the MS 500i when it comes out next year.
Of course the problem with getting one of every series number is now I want one of every model variation in each series number. It never ends...
Here are few pics of the back wall area:
IMAG0721.jpg IMAG0720.jpg IMAG0722.jpg

There will undoubtedly be some wall space for display of items like crosscut saws, axes, and miscellaneous signage. I am thinking the hallway connecting the main display area to the shop of the opposite end will be a good place for these kinds of items.

On an unrelated note, I am accumulating more chains and will be putting another box together probably before Christmas.

Mark

Back