Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been keeping busy trying to get the shelves up on the wall. The wire shelving will be good for saws that deserve a closer look, the shelves on the wall will tell a bit more of the history/progression.

View attachment 777186

View attachment 777187

View attachment 777188

I have also moved most of my chain inventory to the new shop. I will have to spend some time improving the organization but at least I have most of it now in one place. I have a few more boxes of miscellaneous chains and parts in the attic, as well as a number of prepackaged loops. You can't see it in the photo below but I have the Oregon chain "scale" decal affixed to the bench top and some pins (finish nails) in the end of the bench to facilitate counting drivers when making chains.

View attachment 777192

Mark
Do I spy the brown timber bear hiding in there lol?
Looks great Mark!

I recently had an offer to buy a "running" Timber Bear with a new (aftermarket) bar and chain for $60. I passed. I find it hard to embrace the McCinderblocks and everything that came after it through the Chinese crap that they apparently went to and the Husqvarna ownership of the name. I say all of this even though most, if not all of the McCullochs I own were from the era when Black and Decker owned them.
Its funny how we seem to form a bond with a certain type of equipment system and we have trouble accepting anything that differs from that. Maybe it is because my grandfather's first power saw was a D30 McCulloch, and the first saw I ever ran and still have is a 1010S. They had the heavy and basic forerunner, and then the "much" improved offspring of that idea. The newer products to me were just a marketing "cheapening " product to try to keep up with what the bean counters thought was a better way to make money and keep up with trends, not make a better product.

Thank you so much Mark for putting this Museum together and showing an unbiased and true accoumt of the product. You tell the truth. Good, bad, and otherwise.
So glad that you have the drive and the resources to make this happen. Wish I could get up there one day to see what you have created. Truly a labor of love, as money has to be a secondary consideration.

These photos were taken in my current shop but the edger and the cleaner looking welder have been moved to the museum building.

20191216_150044.jpg

20191216_150031.jpg

The dirty looking welder starts and runs well. I have not yet attempted to actually strike an arc but one day...

20191217_093542.jpg

I also moved another batch of bars and chains over today.

20191217_174342.jpg

These were in addition to a batch I brought over last week.

20191217_174354.jpg

Now, how do I go about getting them organized in a way that I can find one when I need it?

Mark

Hey guys,
I’m new here and a new collector of McCullochs I’m trying to collect all the 10 series and a few others. Mr. Mark I would like to tour your saw shop when you finish it. What town are you building it in.
My Grand paw Chester Darby was a McCuloch man he had a 10-10 Automatic with a right hand start, as he was partially paralyzed on his left side. But even in his 70-80 he could out work a young man. One summer he and I ran 380’ of fence no water jugs. That’s just the way he worked. At the time I could hold my own with him. I miss that man. He’s been gone 12 years. He left me his saw, someone was supposed to be restoring it for me. But they never got back to me on it. Might have parted it out. I sure would like to have it back.

What do you think this old Mac is worth? Any demand for this oldy? TIA.
793a5af4653ef5b87dc91554a3d439dc.jpg

Hey guys,
I’m new here and a new collector of McCullochs I’m trying to collect all the 10 series and a few others. Mr. Mark I would like to tour your saw shop when you finish it. What town are you building it in.
My Grand paw Chester Darby was a McCuloch man he had a 10-10 Automatic with a right hand start, as he was partially paralyzed on his left side. But even in his 70-80 he could out work a young man. One summer he and I ran 380’ of fence no water jugs. That’s just the way he worked. At the time I could hold my own with him. I miss that man. He’s been gone 12 years. He left me his saw, someone was supposed to be restoring it for me. But they never got back to me on it. Might have parted it out. I sure would like to have it back.
You saying they still have his saw? You need to get it back.

What do you think this old Mac is worth? Any demand for this oldy? TIA.
793a5af4653ef5b87dc91554a3d439dc.jpg
Hate to tell you, the small engine shop I deal with had one a couple months ago. He said make him an offer, he was tired of moving it around. I only had $10 on me, so I said I was broke , but, I would bring some cash when I came back to pick up my tiller. He didn't call when the tiller was finished, and my daughter got married, so I kind of forgot about the tiller. Went back to get the tiller and asked about the Mac15? He said the guys were taking a load to the scrap yard so he threw it in the pile.. I paid $35 for mine in running condition.

To tell the truth, the only reason I gave $35 for it, it was a friend selling a couple of his Dad's Macs that he restored. The other one was a Mac550, 99CC. He wanted $35 each, being a friend I didn't argue. But in my mind, I paid $50 for the 550 and $20 for the mac 15, Just Me.

Im shocked actually on how little it is worth. I didn't buy it as of yet. I actually thought something that cool looking would be worth more. Guess i wont even make an offer on it

Latest posts

Back