ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Virginia Woman Mauled To Death By Her Own Dogs During Walk In Woods, Sheriff Says

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Brushwacker, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Gugi47

Gugi47 ArboristSite Hit Man

2. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    I'm aware of Pit Bulls doing good things and being good pets. That's all good and well.

But, when one attacks and literally kills a human being, all the good stuff they do tends to go bye bye.

It's been my point all along that if you are a grown adult and you want to own a Pit Bull, go right ahead. But, at the same time, if you have children or are around children at times, you are obligated to do your due diligence and keep control of the dog at all times.

A 4 yr. old child doesn't make a conscious decision to own a Pit Bull. The child's stupid parents do.

Sleepy likes this.
  3. J.W Younger

J.W Younger ass kissing impaired

“So tragic:” 69-year-old volunteer mauled to death by dog at boarding ...
    fox6now.com/.../so-tragic-69-year-old-volunteer-mauled-to-death-by-dog-at-boardin...

4. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws

which is why I wont hesitate to shoot one if threatened. when I worked for an HVAC company, i'd carry when I had to go into the city.

and this girl raised them and supposedly trained them.

5. Husky Man

Husky Man Addicted to ArboristSite

It doesn't even have to be "in the city", we live in a rural neighborhood on Mt. Hood, and had an incident of a Pit Bull attacking a neighbor while he walked his own dog (which WAS leashed) both the neighbor and his dog suffered serious wounds, but fortunately both survived. This happened before we moved to the neighborhood, and the owner of the offending dog(which I believe was euthanized) has since moved away, but possible dog attacks are just one of the many reasons I carry as well.

I have also personally been a victim of Armed Robbery, when I was 19, and not yet able to get a CCW, and have also had a previous home burglarized. Please don't confuse Burglary and Robbery, unfortunately I know the difference from experience, both are horrible experiences, but there is nothing else like having a gun in your face.

I have known people myself, that own Pit Bulls, and they too claim how Loving, Gentle and Docile their dogs are, but I would never trust one of them myself, especially around young children, the risk is simply not worth it to me, there are plenty of other breeds that are safer bets. To the poster that commented about reading of "Attacks by Labradors" the only reports that I have read of any retrievers "attacking" were ones of them defending Family or Home, not aggressive unprovoked attacks, especially against their Family members, if it has happened, I have never heard about it, and would be interested in any cases that you can cite.

One of the biggest problems with Pit Bulls, is that they appeal to many of exactly the type of person who should NOT own them, those who are attracted to, and emphasize the breeds negative traits.

There are a Lot of wonderful Breeds out there, None Better than the Golden Retriever in my opinion, but other than the "Bad Ass" reputation, I don't see the appeal of Pit Bulls, to me Pit Bulls are not even an attractive breed, but then my Wife Loves Pugs, there is another breed I would not miss if extinction claimed as well, but they are just not very bright, can't breath well, and having been around more than I care to think about, I have yet to meet one that was well mannered, but I wont say they are Vicious or mean.

Doug

Conquistador3, 1Alpha1 and mga like this.
  6. Brushwacker

Brushwacker Addicted to ArboristSite