Wadena outdoor furnace ? who has one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa.hunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i like the idea, who has one and what is burn times , and how many times do you feed it a day? i will be topping it off with coal each time. (i fill it ) anyone do this in this model stove? just looking for info first hand, from someone who owns 1 of these stove thanks guys i am looking at the 1500 which was 1000 model in 2009 upgraded 2010 thanks again for input and is their any other good models to choose from out their made like this

Last edited:
I've been looking at one of these myself and can't seem to find out much about it. Really like this idea better than the boiler, cost is reasonable on the product and the install. Going to try and look at one this weekend that's in operation at the dealers house, if I can get some straight answers on wood usage from him I'll let you know............

ttt anyone else use coal and wood together with it

We can load it 3 times in 24 hours at say 25 degrees in the day and 10 at night. It gets down to 69 or so by morning but comes up quickly once loaded.

the themostat is set at 73 degrees and it keeps it there pretty well as long as stove has wood in it. I will say that it uses more wood than the indoor furnace we just had. But the whole outdoor mess is nice.

Russ.

ok so I went to look at them.....here's my take.
At 560 lbs. there's not much for steel in them ergo a 5 year warranty.
They claim 250,000 btu's but the unit only come with a 500 cfm blower.You'd need more like 3000 cfm's or more to move that much heat.Of course it all depends on the size house you have.
250,000 btus is enough heat to do a 6000 s/f home so it's too large for most homes meaning you'll throttle it down for smaller homes...if it's burning that slow are there any creosote issues.

There's not much for heat exchange surface in it so the claim of 250,000 btu's is suspect.
Although the firebox is huge which means you can stuff a ton of wood in it.
Burn times are not that great for the amount of wood you can put in it.
Efficiencies are lousy...it does not fall into the biomass tax credit.
Ashes...no pan...now your shoveling.
I could not see a UL listing anywhere.

In my opinion for 2500$ your not getting much for your money and you'll be burning wood like it's going out of style.There are better options for about the same money.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this furnace until I saw this post so I checked out the website. The first thing I noticed was the tiny air ducts, then I saw only 500 cfm fan?! Those two items would make me walk away and not look back. I don't see how it can keep from over heating itself with that large of fire box and that little of air movement. These outside forced air furnaces don't make sence to me, they have no place to store the heat generated from a burn cycle like an owb does. I don't know if that is the opinion you wanted or not, someone who owns a similar one needs to chime in. Good luck.

Victorian Sales warrants the firebox and cast iron grates to be free of defects in
material and workmanship for five (5) years from date of purchase. The firebox
and cast iron grates warranty will be pro-rated after one (1) year at a rate of 25%
of the retail cost in effect per year after the first year; 50% of the retail cost the
following year and so on. Intentional misuse, abuse or burn through of cast iron
components is not warranted. Over firing the furnace will cause the front face to
crack and is not covered by warranty.

As hard as you'll work a furnace like this there will be signs of over heating.My bet is that the warranty does not hold water and what they have for a warranty is nothing anyway...5 years...please It tells me they know that in 5 years it will fail.

They also have a small blower,small heat run. They do not fall into the biomass credit because they are not that efficient so you'll be loading often.
The other issue with these types of furnace which there are not that many is that there are issues with getting the heat into the home.If they were that great we all would be making them.

Your better option is this if you want a warm air furnace outside is to build a small shed close to the house to avoid all of the heat loss that you will get with those other ones you've listed and install a high efficient wood furnace.
Look at the Super Jack we make.It will do exactly what you want it too on half of the wood those other ones will use.It can come with a 1460 CFM blower which is triple the size of those other blowers and this furnace can heat up to 3000 s/f with 12 hour burn times using dry hard wood.
This furnace will fall into the biomass tax credit.
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/SUPERJACKADDONWOODFURNACE/tabid/59/Default.aspx
The $1000 dollars you can get back on the credit...if you pay taxes will pay for the small shed.

It's not just the blower speed...does Firechief have the biomass tax credit?
No...they can not rate high enough due to no gasifier or cat burning.
This means 30-40% of the btu's that could & should be made can not be made.It's physically impossible.....
That means you'll go through more wood more often and more loading.Only a 5 year warranty....that means they burn out sooner than later and your out buying "another" wood burner.

If that wood goes out you loose on your investment.Your gonna be paying for liquid fuel when you could have avoided that payment with the proper original investment.
I see it happen all of the time.....

You have to abide by "laws of physics" when your heating with wood.
Without burning the smoke"gases"....you'll never make the heat you could have had you gotten a furnace that is designed to just that.

Last edited:
20 year warranty fire box this stove looks like a winner

http://www.charmaster.com/embers.html
Embers Specifications

Dimensions: Length 54", height 48", width 30".

Weight: 650 pounds.

Firebox: 24" long, 1/4" thick back plate. 3/16" thick front plate and sides, firebrick lined.

Heating Capacity: Heats up to 2,000 square feet.

Return Air Opening: 2 - 12" round

Supply Air Opening: 2 - 12" round

Chimney Requirements: 6" inside diameter insulated Class A stainless. (sold separately)

Security: All EMBERS have a Safety Heat Dump installed as standard equipment. This protects the firebox and electrical controls from overheating during a power outage.

Fire Door: 11" x 13" cast iron.

Blower Direct Drive: Standard, 2550 C.F.M., 3-speed, 3/4 H.P.

Embers specs

The Embers Outdoor Wood Furnace is the better way!

* Eliminates or drastically reduces oil or gas heating bills.
* Shipped completely assembled; factory wired and tested.
* Firebrick lined.
* FREE Honeywell thermostat included for your complete control from your living room.
* Easy, simple hook-up to your existing system.
* Ultra efficient air tight construction for top burning efficiency.
* CHARMASTER'S exclusive above-the-fire draft squeezes all the heat out of your firewood and gives you more control and longer burn time than with any other system.
* FREE heavy duty poker with each unit.
* Heavy galvanealed steel jacket coated with thick enamel to resist rust.
* Built-in free standing chimney support. The simplest ever! Just insert three or four lengths of stainless insulated chimney pipe.
* Totally adaptable to any home - even homes heated with a hot water boiler system by installing a simplified air duct system.

Stop straining to read your computer monitor...
give us a call and we will mail you out a full color brochure TODAY!
CHARMASTER PRODUCTS
2307 Highway 2 West • Grand Rapids, Minnesota 55744
218-326-6786 or 218-326-2636

how about this model and yukon does not sell outdoor furnace i have no basement

Back