Wait for the new MS881 or try to find a mint 880?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funambulus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Talked to my local Stihl distributor about picking up a new MS880 with a 59" bar and he informed me that those were no longer in production. Anyone have info on the 881, I know guys across the pond in the UK seem to love it. He told me end of January, beginning of February, and that he is unsure of price at this point. Its supposed to be 20% more fuel efficient but from what I have read, it sounds like it runs quite a bit hotter, due to it being a 2-mix design instead of 2 stroke.

Sounds like they hold their power better than a 880 especially with a muffler mod. Ported is still yet to be tested but in stock for the 881 seems to have the upper hand on the 880.

I sure hope the 881 is an improvement over the 880. If you ever get to run a stock Mac 125, then you will know what a 120cc saw should be. The 088 & 880 I had needed to be ported to be worth having IMHO.

I’ve only ran mine ported, but from everything I’ve heard I agree. They lack the torque to power a long bar.

Sounds like they hold their power better than a 880 especially with a muffler mod. Ported is still yet to be tested but in stock for the 881 seems to have the upper hand on the 880.
That's what I keep reading is that it had more power throughout the band, and is all around a more consistent saw. I just hope that they offer it with a 59" bar and chain. It looks like in the UK they only go up to 41" bar and have to purchase anything else larger separately.

What is this about?
What is this about?
There is a second set of transfer ports that push clean air into the cylinder and out the exhaust helping complete the burn of fuel. It also creates a clean air buffer in the cylinder, so your not pushing fuel/air mixture out the exhaust.

What is this about?

There is a second set of transfer ports that push clean air into the cylinder and out the exhaust helping complete the burn of fuel. It also creates a clean air buffer in the cylinder, so your not pushing fuel/air mixture out the exhaust.

Is this the same thing that is referred to as “strato port”?

Is this the same thing that is referred to as “strato port”?
Yes I think that is the correct term. Stihl just named their version of it 2-mix. Cleaner hotter burn with better fuel efficiency, but with that comes more heat. Not sure how well that translates to milling.

Cleaner hotter burn with better fuel efficiency, but with that comes more heat. Not sure how well that translates to milling.
Probably not a good thing.

The 881 sounds like a way to reduce fuel consumption and clean up two stroke motors which is good for environmental purposes but milling represents such a tiny proportion of two stroke engine use this somewhat irrelevant for CSMers. Stihl probably have to be seen to be cleaning up their 2 stroke fleet, I reckon it's only ever going to get worse.

One thing to consider is that milling always runs hotter for longer and serious CSMers will protect their powerheads by running richer (fuel/air) mixes, moderate exhaust porting, opening up the exhausts, and running a larger main jet. All this works because flushing with some unburnt fuel is an easy and effective way of removing heat.

If I didn't already have an 880 I'd be getting an 084 and doing it up.

Latest posts

Back